New hard drive problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grifter43

Baseband Member
Hi, I just came off of cruise and my wife had moved into an old apartment complex. She had plugged in her desktop into a wall outlet that our surge protector was showing to have a wiring fault.

The cpu worked fine for a while and then it would kick off and try to restart but then would come up with a message "No bootable device found"

I went into setup and tried using the CD-Rom but to no avail. I then bought a new hard drive and installed Windows Xp Home on it and it worked with the new hdd as the master and the old as the slave. But now, I think the old one is definitely dying. Problem is, all of my drivers are on the old one and now I am getting the same old message..."No bootable device found."

Is it because I need to install the drivers onto my new hdd or possibly my 230W power supply not enough?

What are your system specs?

I don't really undestand with drivers on the old HD. But if its dying, try hooking it up to another computer and copy your important data.

You mean that, your drivers are INSTALLED in your old HDD, and you dont have the setup files of the drivers to install it in your new?

Well, I just moved from Cali and I know I have the drivers, I just don't know where. But the question is: Is that what is causing the error message? I just want to be sure.

My system is a Dell Dimension 4300 with 128 MB Ram, Two 40 GB HDD, and a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 Processor. They are both IDE HDD. As well as the factory Power Supply with a total Power output of 230W. I have one DVD-Rom/CD-rw combo drive, one CD-RW drive, and of course the one floppy drive.

Okay, I was able to copy all of my drivers from the old hard drive onto the new hard drive, but I still get the same message intermittenly.

Could it be that I need to upgrade my psu? I still have the factory installed 230W psu. Is that enough power to run the extra Hard Drive?

Not to mention, when I stated having problems to begin with is when my wife hooked it up to a bad wall socket for the longest time. That is when this all started to happen. The same message over an again.

"NO BOOTABLE DEVICE FOUND"

Please help.

If it is the psu, how much power do I need and what is a good brand?

I have a:

Dell Dimension 4300
P4 1.6 GHz
DDR 256 MB
Home Xp OS
Western Digital 40GB IDE Hard Drive (Master)
(Some Unknown-Factory Installed) 40GB IDE Hard Drive
Factory Installed PSU 230W

The power supply seems to be the only thing that I can think of. Could it cause this message?

You could try a new PS...a 350 or 400 watt one should work fine. Antec, Thermaltake are both good brands.

So, all I need to worry about if it has the right output power and the right connector. Right?

Oh, I just reformatted my old hard drive (the slave) and it is showing up again. Though, it disappears and reappears and it makes a sickly noise. I think it is dying. What do you think?

I apprecaite all of your help. I am still new at this stuff.

It sounds like your boot sector is damagedon the older drive so its trying to boot off the dammaged drive.Best to clean off both drives reformat and set the new one as master old one as slave and reinstall windows on the new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom