Noctua NF-P14 FLX Case Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaymate

Golden Master

Noctua NF-P14 FLX Case Fan
By: Dan Durland

Introduction

After reviewing the Noctua NF-S12B FLX case fan Noctua asked me to evaluate the NF-P14 FLX case fan. Besides being a larger fan, the NF-P14 FLX also sports a unique blade design employing Vortex-Control Notches.
Features

• 140mm Impeller with Vortex Control Notches
    Thanks to its psycho-acoustically optimised nine blade impeller with staggered Vortex-Control Notches, the NF-P14 combines superb quietness with exceptional airflow and static pressure.
  • Metal Reinforcements
    Both the impeller hub and the bearing shell of the NF-P14 are metal reinforced in order to achieve ultimate manufacturing precision, high durability and vibration-free running.
  • Round frame with 120mm mounting holes
    Using a round frame with the same hole-spacing as common 120mm fans and producing more airflow due to its larger diameter, the NF-P14 is a perfect upgrade for 120mm CPU or case fans. Thanks to the supplied adaptors, the NF-P14 also fits common 140mm mounting holes.
  • 3 speed settings for full flexibility
    Providing 1200, 900 and 750 rpm speed settings via the supplied Low-Noise and Ultra-Low-Noise Adapters, the NF-P14 FLX (Flexibility) can be fine-tuned for superior airflow or maximum quietness.
  • Smooth Commutation Drive 2
    The latest version of Noctua's advanced SCD drive system ensures superb running smoothness by eliminating torque variations and switching noises.
  • SSO-Bearing
    Noctua's time-tested SSO-Bearing technology has become synonymous with supremely quiet operation and exceptional long-term stability.

Specifications

• Size - 140x140x25 mm
  • Bearing - SSO-Bearing
  • Blade Geometry - NF-P14 Blade Design with VCN
  • Rotational Speed - 1200 RPM (+/- 10%)
  • Rotational Speed with L.N.A. - 900 RPM (+/- 10%)
  • Rotational Speed with U.L.N.A. - 750 RPM (+/- 10%)
  • Airflow - 110.3 m3/h
  • Airflow with L.N.A. - 83.7 m3/h
  • Airflow with U.L.N.A. - 71.2 m3/h
  • Acoustical Noise - 19.6 dBA
  • Acoustical Noise with L.N.A. - 13.2 dBA
  • Acoustical Noise with U.L.N.A. - 10.1 dBA
  • Static Pressure - 1.29 mm H20
  • Static Pressure with L.N.A. - 0.77 mm H20
  • Static Pressure with U.L.N.A. - 0.53 mm H20
  • Input Power - 1.2 W
  • Input Current - 0.1 A
  • Voltage Range - 12 V
  • MTBF - >150,000 h
  • Warranty - 6 years
  • Scope of Delivery
    Ultra-Low-Noise Adapter (U.L.N.A.)
    Low-Noise Adapter (L.N.A.)
    Adapters for 140mm mounting
    4 Vibration Compensators
    3:4-pin Adapter
    4 Fan Screws

Packaging

The NF-P14 FLX case fan is packaged in what appears to be a regular box. But the curious shopper will find a flap that opens like a book, which contains a few design diagrams, plus Noctua's own test results.

Inside the box we find the fan and all of the accessories in a preformed plastic compartmentalized container.

Image Gallery

Here we have the accessories:
  • Ultra-Low-Noise Adapter (U.L.N.A.) - Blue Connector
  • Low-Noise Adapter (L.N.A.) - Black Connector
  • (4) - Fan Screws
  • (4) - 140mm Mounting Adapters
  • (4) - Vibration Compensators
  • 3:4 pin Adapter

In our next pictures we see the front or intake side of the NF-P14 FLX and a close-up shows shows the Vortex Control Notches plus one of the 140mm Mounting Adapters.

Once again we have the front or intake side of the NF-P14 FLX plus I have all (4) 140mm Mounting Adapters in place.

In our last two pictures we can see the rear or exhaust side of the NF-P14 FLX. The close-up provides a better view of the Vortex Control Notches.

Testing

I'll be testing the NF-P14 FLX fan using the same method I used with the NF-S12B FLX fan. Acoustical Noise levels will be verified using the dBA meter built into my Mastech Digital Multimeter. And I'll use my La Crosse Technology EA-3010U Anemometer to take a wind speed measurement in km/h. Once I have the km/h reading I can plug that number into a flow rate calculator and determine the airflow in (m3/h) or (cfm). Noctua has also listed a Static Pressure value in (mm H20) which is virtually impossible to test with my limited resources.

Results

• 1200 RPM (+/- 10%)
    7.2 km/h =65.2 cfm or 110.8 m3/h
    20.1 dBA

• 900 RPM (+/- 10%)
    5.5 km/h = 49.8 cfm or 84.6 m3/h
    13.9 dBA

• 750 RPM (+/- 10%)
    4.6 km/h = 41.7 cfm or 70.8 m3/h
    10.5 dBA

Similar to the other Noctua fans I've used and tested the NF-P14 FLX delivers results that are very similar to the specifications listed and well within the (+/- 10%) RPM range.

Pros
  • 120mm or 140mm Mounting Options
  • Very Quiet
  • Excellent Airflow
  • Vibration Compensators
  • 6 year Warranty

Cons
  • Color
  • Expensive ($25-$30 US)

Conclusion

Once again Noctua has delivered a solid product that matches its listed specifications. While it is expensive and the color is rather dull the performance is as advertised. Leaving room for future improvements, like a combination of Noctua's Vortex Control Notches and their Bevelled Blade Tips, I'm awarding the NF-P14 FLX a 4.5 out of 5 star rating.
45star.gif

I would like to thank Noctua for allowing Tech-Forums to evaluate this product.

Yeah Slay always puts Colour as a con with Noctua's stuff :p, I'm not that big a fan of the colour either but it doesn't really make that much difference as to how well it cools lol so no biggie IMO

There's really isn't much you can complain about with a Noctua product other than it's drab color. Maybe if I mention it enough they'll start offering different colors :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom