Two years and three months, A salute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
Well its almost been 2 and a half years since I bought her.

And she has triumphetly plowed threw everything Ive thrown at her.

Hours upon hours of uber maxed out crysis: I know it was pointless and probably torture at some level, but I just just had to look at the glorioius yet poorly wrriten gleaming texture and physics code. You even gracefully waltzed through all the levels when I wanted to play at 1/4 speed. So for having to endure the painful yet blissful experience that is crysis, Im sorry... This probably cut your life more than anything. So again Im sorry.

Countless running's of 3dmarks: ahh the days of the epeenn benchmarking, you ran them without question and did not bark back at me for all the tedious little tweaking I did to you. Just like mans best friend, the dog, you were there, with on wavering deidication!

untold video and tv viewings: Ok Ok, So I probably didn't need to watch those star trek voyager episodes and stargate sg-1 episodes 5 times over, but I was bored ok!!!!

But its been a long ride, and your fan is starting to whine loudly at even low levers, and somethings you make the computer hard restart. Sometimes you don't even want to wake in the early morning hours.

So I salute you the 4870 X2, now, before you die. I want to remember you when you still worked..

-crys-

(I did not spell check)

buy an aftermarket heatsink and clean her up, she'll probably still work good for another year or two. Or she'll work good for someone else for another year or two :D

Yea, well Im pretty sure its not just the fan.

It artifacts in most games now, even after turning down the clocks. (lower than stock).

And I will get occasional BSOD's when trying to load some games.

The sad part about this is, this is the second card, the first one didn't last 4 months without artifacting.

:/

Welp, time to play more crysis! lol.

-Ste uses max thread revive-

So its finally gotten really bad, I can hear the fan rattling even at 35%.

So Ill bite the bullet and just replace the stock heatsink/fan.

I was looking at this "thingy".

ARCTIC COOLING Accelero XTREME 4870X2 VGA Cooler For ATI Radeon HD4870X2

Unless anyone else any better suggestions, Im also curious how easy removal of the old heatsink and installation of the new one will be.

Edit: also I am curious if the ati fan control will work with that heatsink or if the fans just run at one speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom