Strange problem when installing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcedias

Solid State Member
Hey Guys,

So I have a strange problem with my computer. Whenever I try to install a game (haven't tried installing other programs besides games recently) the installation crashes. The game usually calls it a "data error." I've copied the contents of the disk onto a folder and tried installing it from there, but with no success. I've also tried using a friend's DVD drive to copy the contents onto my external harddrive, and tried installing from my external harddrive, but that didn't work either. I think that tells me it's not a problem with my dvd drive. It's also not a problem with the disk because the game(s) install successfully on my friend's computer.

Here's where it's interesting. When I get my friend to share their dvd drive on the local network and install the game(s) by putting the disk in their computer and accessing their dvd drive from my computer, the installation works.

What could be causing this? Is there anything else I can do to help you guys diagnose the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

it might just be the cable.
it can also be the motherboard
when I read it is more a hardware problem
maby motherboard update ??

Sorry, can I ask what you mean by the cable?

I'll try a motherboard update, thanks. In the meantime, here are my specs:

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 40 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 533MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-DS3L (Socket 775)
Graphics
HP w2207 @ 1680x1050
512MB GeForce 9800 GTX+ (EVGA) 40 °C
Hard Drives
977GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM31000340AS (SATA) 36 °C
Optical Drives
HP DVD Writer 1040r
WPMPATM 0PIB0HINWP SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
USB Audio Device

Reply: It's not the motherboard, i did a driver update and the problem didn't go away.

Well, it's not a problem with the dvd drive. I mentioned that If i copied the contents of the disk onto my external harddrive using a friend's dvd drive, and tried to install from the external harddrive, it didn't work. However, if i accessed their dvd drive directly and installed from that, it worked. So it's not a problem with my dvd drive (because it won't work by installing from a file) or the DVD itself (because i can get it to work)

have you try to install somthing from a isofile becaus if you have it then its maby your win self

I've tried installing from ISO file and from folder, but neither work. What's really strange is that it only works if I do the install directly from a different dvd drive shared on the network

IE I get my friend to share his dvd drive, put the disk in his computer, and access his drive from my computer. Then it works fine. Why would this be?

I ran memtest, and i'm getting tons of errors. But can RAM affect installation? Why would it work if i ran it off a friend's dvd drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom