CPU Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felony

Beta member
Hey there, I'm new to these forums and I'm sure my question has come up many times on these forums, but I figured every overheating problem has it's own story.

Right to the problem. My computer, the CPU actually, likes to sit at 60-70C on idle. The max temp for my CPU is 73C.

Specs:
M3A78-CM
AMD Athlon 7750 Black Edition CPU 64 bit
4GB of DDr2 667 ram
Using onboard video card (ATI 3100)
650W PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I've used Speedfan, PC Probe and the bios to monitor the CPU temp, and it's all the same.

I've tried:
Buying a completely new case with better ventilation
Applying new thermal grease (Tuniq TX-2)
Re-adjusting the Heat sink fan

I had purchased basically the same computer for my room mate and she is having the same problem. I'm fresh out of ideas and technical knowledge as to why this is happening :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Hmm, even with the current stuff, you did to improve ventalation and reapplying some new thermal grease...

Have you tried updating the motherboards bios ? it maybe the mobo is not reading the tempature correctly after some adjustments.
Update that first and then go look at your mobo settings again see if it drops back to 38c or 42c.

Well heat is caused by 2 things..... Your Voltage settings and the room temp.

Have you overclocked the chip? Doubt it due to both having issues.

Whats your roomtemp? My house is 26C and so I run at 73C loaded out... drop my room by 3C and i drop 5C or more.

I'm incline to think though, thde cpu is overvolted. I'd look for the newest bios, then read up on overclocking, so thagt you can manually set your Vcore as to get enogh power and less heagt.

Welcome to TF too.

MidnightMike: I have not tried that yet and don't have much knowledge on how to either, so I haven't really looked into it but will probably look it up and try. Thanks for the suggestion.

patonb:
I have actually underclocked the chip from 2700MHz to 2200Mhz to see if it would improve the temp. I'm in the great white north (Canada) so it doesn't get too warm in my room and I leave my window open slightly to let the air flow through. However when the temp in the room goes up, the computer doesn't like handling that too well, so you are right there.

I will look into an updated bios and see if I can lower the voltage going through. Thanks for the input :)

Yha, i'm in canada too, my 2 rigs are my heaters..... underclocking is only part of the equation, you now need to lower the Vcore...

But get the newest bios, and look into lowering the Vcore too.

I've updated the bios to the latest...Unfortunately there is no option to lower the vcore, only increase it. I've looked through the bios and had another computer friend help me and we couldn't find where to decrease the Vcore voltage.

It sounds like you either have to much thermal paste applied or the heatsink isn't making full contact with the cpu. Can you post a picture of your heatsink installed and another picture of the cpu with the heatsink removed (don't wipe off the thermal paste).

2pq45xz.jpg

2a69emu.jpg

I didn't apply the thermal paste myself as that was a bit out of my knowledge, I had my 'techie' friend do it for me and take the pictures. TBH, it looks like too much to me, but I could be wrong.

It might have a little to much. Clean the paste off of the heatsink but leave the existing paste on the cpu and see if your temps drop any. The paste pattern looks OK though, or it looks like the heatsink was attached correctly.

I would suspect the fan. Just because it's spinning it doesn't mean it moving the air it should. Measure the fan with a metric ruler to size it. It's probably a 70mm x 70mm or it might be a 80mm x 80mm from the looks of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom