Need advice for a gaming pc with a 750$ budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErasablePen

Beta member
I want to build a new gaming pc but I've been out of the loop for pc tech for a while now. My current pc is using an 8800GT with 2gs of RAM and a 3.0ghz dual processor and this power supply

Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - Tuniq IC-SYMI-BK Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I don't expect to salvage anything from it really, except perhaps the tower. Currently using Newegg.com - Tuniq IC-SYMI-BK Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Should I keep this or just get a new one? I wouldn't mind a new one as long as I can stay around 750$

My first thoughts on GPU was one of these

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Is the 5850 worth the extra expense?

I'm pretty uncertain about the CPU but I came up with these

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX or
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52300

And for a harddrive I was thinking this Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

No idea what motherboard to get but obviously that depends greatly on whether or not I go with the sandy bridge, though I kind of dislike the idea of having to just grab whatever they come out with.

As far as RAM and PSU goes, I'd love to hear an opinion because I'm unsure.

I came here years ago for help with my current pc and it worked out great so thank you guys in advance!

THe motherboard isnt bad, but you will need to scrap it sooner than other motherboards. as ive read on some reviews on it, it lacks USB 3.0 and SATA 6. thats what i think. THe processor of the intel would be an i3 or an i5. they arent too cheap and they arent too expensive. the i3 would most likely match the amd phenom ii x4. its up to you for the processing speed.

That mobo won't work with either cpu you posted. It's a 1156 mobo, and the cpu is a 1155.... Yup 1 number different.

The 1155 is the new i5 chipset, and intel just found a flaw in the mobo chipset, and they are currently fixing it. The fix is getting ready to ship out to stores, but theyre not out yet.. in a couple weeks.

I'd definately wait the fix, the Sandy bridge chips are dirty fast.. the upper quads are on par with current intel hexs.

Saddly amd is behind the old intel and now theyre even worse.

Your budget can do a 1155 setup, so I'd do it.
Your 8800gt is still nice.. the 5850 or 70 will kill it though.

I'd build the best cpu and moderate gpu as itseasy to upgrade gpus.

I say go with the 460 gtx. It's definitely packs a lot of punch for the price. As for the processor the AMD that you listed will be able to more than satisfy your needs, while at the same time save you money. If you're really budget conscious you could go with a phenom ii x2 and try to unlock the other two cores. Doing that would give you a very powerful quad core cpu for 90 bucks, but its a gamble on whether or not you'll be able to unlock the other cores. If you do that, you will need a motherboard with certain AMD chipsets with the ACC feature.

Here is the x2 if you're up for the gamble:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

If going with the AMD cpu, you will want a motherboard with ddr3 and an AM3 socket. Just go for whichever motherboard has a lot of good reviews that's in your price range, unless you require additional features such as usb 3.0, which is probably overkill unless you plan on using a usb 3.0 device to transfer large amounts of data(external hard drive for instance).

For memory, I would suggest this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

As for the PSU, a good Antec power supply is always a sure bet
Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom