Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

watso

Beta member
I have a Dell Latitude 100 L that keeps shutting down on me. The problem is related to the power cord. I've replaced the cord but still have the same problem. The only way I can start the computer when the battery is discharged is to dangle the power cord over the top of the computer. When I get the right amount of angle and tension, the green light goes on to indicate power and it boots up. If the cord moves after the connection, it loses power and shuts down. My guess is that the adaptor that the cord plugs into is loose. I believe it is attahed to the mother board. Can this be replaced or fixed without repalcing the MB?
'

Thanks in advance for the help!

before replacing the motherboard I would have checked to make sure all internal connections are secured for example..all CPU fans are working properly....then make a decision...wat u think??

The power connector on the motherboard is broken. The solder on the connector has detached from the motherboard.

You have two options:
1. Replace the motherboard. This is the most expensive option, you usually will spend almost 3/4ths of the cost of your laptop on a motherboard, especially if you purchase it from Dell. You might get lucky and find one online or through a 3rd party vendor but it will still be really expensive.

2. Resolder on the connector. You can pay someone to do this or do it yourself. The power connector is like 5 bucks. If you have the equipment (connector, solder, solder iron) and about an hour you could fix it yourself. If you don't know what you're doing you can take it to most PC repair shops, they should be able to do this for you.

Thanks for the help. Replacing the MB is not an option. I am comfortable doing the soldering so I will try to replace the connector. Do you have any parts places to recommend? Also, Are these connectors generic or MB specific?

Usually MB specific. If you google the laptop model and place 'power connector' at the end i guarantee you'll get some sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom