Laptop vs Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBray241

Beta member
My old desktop computer finally succumbed to a virus today and I'm looking to replace it. I decided that since I would be starting college soon, it would be smart to buy something small and mobile. I began searching for various laptops when the "netbooks" caught my eye. I read up on them and understand them fairly well but I know I need advice from someone experienced.

I don't plan on doing much besides writing word documents or browsing the internet while at college. I certainly don't need anything fit for gaming, video editing, or hi def photos etc... However I do think I'll need something that can store a reasonable amount of data on the hard drive (so maybe a netbook isn't that great).

I've also heard that netbooks can't multitask and run many of the applications a laptop can. Is this really a significant downfall? I assume by multitask they don't just mean it can't opening an internet explorer and skype at the same time right?

I am somewhat experienced with computers (replaced a cd drive as well some menial software tasks) so I don't need a system that has been dumbed down to ****.

If anyone could post some useful advice on deciding between the two I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you have any suggestions about specific laptops or netbooks that I should considering buying I would like to hear those too. (I don't do Macs)

Well the biggest thing is budget. Yes 99% of the time a laptop is better but that all depends on what you want to spend. If you can throw us a number we can give you several options in both categories and give you the ups and downs of each.

Budget is not the primary factor. I'd like to keep it below 800$ but I would be willing to pay more if it makes a significant difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom