Overclocking Asus M4785-M

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichM499

Daemon Poster
Hello. I'm glad to finally be back to the Tech Forums. I absolutely adore the changes made to the site. It seems more intuitive and user friendly, while still retaining the feel of being a stockpile of I.T. information that I remember.

I am attempting to overclock my Phenom II x6 1055t with an Asus M4a785-m.

This motherboard uses 4+1 phase design, which could potentially be limiting my overclock, but I am not sure I've even come close yet.

My problem is that I haven't been keeping up as well as I would have liked, and I'm not sure what some of these voltages should be.

This motherboard gives me the ability to change lots of voltages, and I'm not sure what my max or min should be, so I haven't changed them yet. I'm thinking one of these "auto" voltages you see in the screenshot is what's holding me back.

info.jpg

IMG194.jpg

If you look at the BIOS screenshot you'll notice VDDNB over voltage, LoadLine Calibration, and HT over voltage. Also my Chipset voltage is set to auto. These are surely what is limiting me to 3.7~ GHZ. Heat is not an issue. The highest temp reported running LinX was around 43c and that was the northbridge.

Please help me by explaining a bit about these voltages that are new to me, and if you know what my max should be when trying to push this a bit higher please let me know.

I am hoping to get around 3.8+ghz.

Edit: The power supply is a Corsair tx850w, so power shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not really up on AMD but I would enable LoadLine Calibration.

VDDNB sounds like the Northbridge voltage, I would up it if I suspected memory issues. Which brings up the question, what memory are you using and what are the settings you have them at?

mem.png

mem2.png

I have reduced memory multiplier and still get instability around 3.7ghz.

I will take a second look at LoadLine Calibration and VDDNB values and post the results here when I get back.

IMG204.jpg

I'm not sure what to set this to...

IMG206.jpg

IMG207.jpg

I'd like to change it but I'm not sure what to change it to.

None of these have "on" as an option :p It gives me a choice of 0% to 45% for LoadLine....

The other voltages give me a minimum and maximum allowable, but I'm not sure what my safe max should be.

I'm going to go try increasing VDDNB.

Edit:

IMG208.jpg

Chipset Voltage is at 1.35

I've got it stable at 267 cpu/ht, with these voltages. The 270cpu/ht in the pic was BSoD, but it seems stable at 267.

This gives me a little boost..... What should I change?

LoadLine Calibration will allow the CPU VCore voltage to fluctuate. If your VCore is at 1.3875 with Loadline Calibration disabled then the voltage will stay at 1.3875 at an idle or load.

With Loadline Calibration enabled at 1.3875v the voltage will be able to fluctuate, as an example, from 1.3875v to 1.425v. The amount of fluctuation is dependent upon the percentage you select and you'll have to experiment to find out what works best.

Normally, with Loadline Calibration enabled, you can lower your VCore setting to the minimum value needed to run stable at zero to a minimal load and then you choose a LoadLine Calibration percentage value that will allow the voltage to jump up to the value needed for Full Load stability.

With my i7 2600K I have the Loadline Calibration set to Extreme (or the highest value). With my CPU VCore set to 1.25v this allows my CPU to idle at 1.25v but under load (@5GHz) the voltage jumps up to 1.5v.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underclocking your ram can affect stability just as bad as overclocking it, I always try to keep it at it's rated value. I'm not saying you should keep 2000MHz ram at 2000MHz. 2000MHz ram is also rated for 1600MHz, 1333MHz, etc..., but at those ratings it has latency and voltage values that should be maintained.

As an example, if a set of DDR3 2000 has a 1600MHz rating of 8-8-8-24-1T @ 1.65v then those are the values you should try to maintain. If you want to try and raise your cpu overclock by lowering your memory values then lower them a little, say 9-9-9-28-2T @ 1.65v. Lowering the values excessively is like running the Daytona 500 with 20 stock cars added to the pack of race cars. Suddenly all the race cars keep having to slow down intermittently to avoid all the slower traffic and this leads to accidents, blown tires, overheating issues, confusion, etc..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have enough AMD experience to actually guide you or suggest your setting changes, I'm only good for basic guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom