So I believe I have a hardware issue that I need help with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Walked into the man cave today and the monitor would not wake up. I normally leave my PC on 24 hrs unless I am on a vacation or something.

I reboot, get to the Windows 7 screen right before the little colorful windows 7 icon lights up and it sit there. Try again, same thing. Turn off PC and unplug it for a couple minutes. Start up get to the same boot screen and this time the icon showed up on boot but sat there. I walked away for awhile, come back and I see a bios screen that says "disc read error". So first thing I think is my hard drive is going bad on me. I do the same thing again (Turn it off, unplug it) and let it sit for 30 minutes. This time the PC boots up to desktop. I start doing some task and with in about 2 minutes it no longer is responding to my commands.

So thinking it's a HDD issue I decide to reboot with Windows XP which is on a 2nd HDD I have installed. Well sparing the details the same thing happens. It doesn't respond to my commands.

Guess this is a CPU issue or ram issue then? Would you agree? If so what are my steps? Check RAM first? Is there a process of elimination here I could do? Seems difficult since I can't really get up and running.

Thanks!

Update: So I tried to reset the cpu with some new TX-2. I also swapped out the memory sticks. Took two out, then replaced those two and took out the other two sticks. Nothing. Doesn't want to boot up (just sits at the w7 logo screen). Is my CPU gone? It's odd all this happened while my computer just sat there not being used. I bought a MacBook Pro awhile back and have not been on that PC very much.

Looking for any suggestions or feedback. Who knows maybe this will make me upgrade! :)

For the windows 7 hdd problem lets try this, reboot your pc again and go to windows 7 reinstallation repair option found under boot into safemode with or without network access.
Let windows 7 repair wizard boot up, go to the option that says recent windows update patches or hotfixes.
There might be a good chance, that windows 7 installed a hotfix that is not allowing your pc to fully boot up.

It could be a driver update or something else blocking it off, you might need to look at the system restore history in there, and see which update was installed before a reboot and no more history since yesterday whem you got back in.

Your cpu and ram should be fine, otherwise bios check s.m.a.r.t would have found something and warned you about it upon first boot of the machine.

Updates are not installed automatically. I allow them to download but I decide which ones I want to install. Also this problem isn't with just Windows 7. I have a dual boot and booted Windows XP from another HDD and ran into the same problems. Wouldn't this be a cpu or ram issue if I am running into the same issue on two different OS on two different HDD?

Thanks for the input!

Stock? I'm not overclocked right now if that is what you mean? Sorry my sigs a little out of date :p

I actually haven't been OCed for almost a year now.

Ok I will try to do that as well. Question, if I want to do a fresh install for w7 and I bought this version online where I d/l a iso how can I reinstall a fresh version? I don't think I have the iso any more. Do I need to copy the product ID down and re enter it assuming I can find a w7 iso? Do you know where I can get a w7 iso for Professional?

I purchased it legally so I would think for people that need to reinstall it they have some way to do this. It was part of a student discount thing that was going on awhile back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom