Corsair XMS Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carniva

In Runtime
Hi Guys

I was just wondering if anyone would be helpful enough to tell my how the hell you over clock your memory. I have 2 sticks of 512mb corsair XMSPRO p3200xl.

Could someone maybe post a link to a guide or just tell me

Thanks Alot

memory doesn't really OC too well

but it goes with the FSB

So, if you are running 200Mhz FSB your ram is running at 200MhzX2 cuz its DDR. So what you would do is raise the FSB to something like 220Mhz and force your ram to run at a 1:1 ratio to the FSB which would then be 220X2=440mhz vs. the 400mhz factory setting. I have the same ram and i can't get mine past 430mhz....215 FSB. It is quite stable at 210Mhz.

All of these setting should be set in the BIOS.

Don't raise it up to 220 as you will certainly fry your RAM. You want to raise the FSB in small increments of 3-5MHz at a time and then test the RAM with a program such as memtest86+ to make sure the RAM isn't erroring and running like it should. It'll be easy to explain it in this case since you have a 64bit system and the FSB in the BIOS will be at 200....Your memory is 400MHz and that is acquired through it being DDR meaning DOUBLE data rate, so that 200 that you see in the BIOS is 200x2 = 400Mhz PC3200...You want to loosen up your Cycle Time (Tras) when you go above 200 and this will allow you to overclock it because once you do overclock it so far you'll 100% guaranteed get errors in memtest86+ so my suggestion is:

Bump your FSB to 205...save settings and reboot with memtest86+ on a bootable CD or Floppy and make sure your boot sequence is set to the CD or Floppy first....if it passes all the tests then cool you're in the clear. If it doesn't...then try bumping up that Cycle Time (Tras) by one, save settings, restart and see if you still get that error. Generally it'll error on Test 5 when you're overclocking the RAM. You can only get so far by bumping up the Cycle Time however, which if you didn't know is the largest number in your timings IE XMS depending on which series of XMS is 2-3-2-6 so you'd want to raise that 6 to a 7 and it might get rid of the errors...

So if you're able to go up to 205 with no errors, then bump it up to 208 or 210 and repeat the processor, more than likely if you didn't get errors at 205 you definitely will once you get past that and you WILL have to loosen up that timing. Once you start hitting 215-220 not only will that Timing have to be at like 9 or 10, but you might have to bump up your Dimm Voltage by .1 to make it 2.7 instead of 2.6 since you have RAM heat spreaders you can probably hit 2.8 without fear of damaging your RAM but I warn you 2.8 voltage on the dimm is fairly high, but I hear the XMS is power hungry as it is. Hope this has been informative

You will have no trouble clocking 3200XL to 220 Mhz.
Yes it's made to handle those faster speeds and voltages for that matter and come with heat spreaders as it is..I was just informing him of the best way to go about overclocking it safely as just jumping it from 200 to 220 usually wouldn't be advisable :)

clocking it too high won't damage anything...only raising the voltage too high, and besides most mobo's won't go past 2.8, and 2.8 sure won't hurt the XMS line.

clocking it too high won't damage anything...only raising the voltage too high, and besides most mobo's won't go past 2.8, and 2.8 sure won't hurt the XMS line.
Clocking it too high will produce errors in turn constantly running your system with these errors will produce instability and could cause your RAM to fry out being that you're trying to raise the speed past that of what it's capable of. I've already fried one RAM Stick because it was valueRAM and it couldn't handle those higher frequencies so I know what I'm talking about, but yeah the Corsair XMS are power hungry and can handle it good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom