A net for a note

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Yes, I, the big shot here, have a question for you. :p

Let's start out by saying, my netbook; light, superb battery life, enough "umph" to run the basics.

The thing that bugs me about it is; The screen being only 10.1", a little small for viewing webpages; It's not like "sloooow", just want it a little bit faster, higher than max 2GB RAM and Atom processor.

I currently run Ubuntu on it, yet it is still a bit slow. As much as I have learned to like Ubuntu, it really isn't working on here. Works great with my HDPC, EeeBox EB1006HB, though. ;)

Can I, perhaps, sell my Eee 1005HA netbook, for ~$100, and give ways some of the money for a new one?

This is what I'm looking for:

At least a 15" LCD
Intel i3/AMD equivalent
4GB RAM
Any capacity HDD/SSD
As long as the battery lasts more than 1 hour, I'm happy. :D
Windows 7 Home Premium is fine.
I think everything else is standard.

Price I'm looking for is max $500. This is not a gaming laptop, a simple on-the-go PC.

Please stay in Newegg. :thumbsup:

(please don't mention HP's)

Man, why do you always suggest what I just just looked at? :lol:

But yes, that does look good for its price. Has 3GB DDR3, but what the hey... Dedicated GFX cards are always appreciated.

Never had an Acer apart from a LCD i got for my parents. But there's not really anything wrong with them, not like they were a few years ago. ;)

I'll look into that, Abstract. Have to pay off my current i5 build first. Have 12 months to pay it off, interest free. I'm on month 4, and should be paid off in 3 more months. :)

OK, that laptop is now discontinued. I'll look for a similar notebook to that, unless anyone else has a great idea.

Personally I would stay away from Acer, every laptop of theirs I have looked into has pretty poor build quality and a lot of people don't like their keyboards.

For 15" laptops I would look at the following.

Newegg.com - ASUS A52 Series A52F-XN1 NoteBook Intel Pentium P6100(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics

It has one of the new Nehalem based pentiums, 4gb of ram, GMA HD graphics, and it's a Asus which IMO is worth a lot.

If you plan on using this away from a desk at all I would look at something a bit smaller than a 15", most 13.3" laptop actually have the same resolution displays as their 15.6" counterparts so you don't really lose any screen real estate.

Vostro 3300 Laptop Details | Dell

While it has less ram than the other options you've looked at it actually has a Core i3 370 which is better than anything mentioned so far. (It's not from newegg but I couldn't find a comparable system there)

@puddle ASUS FTW! I love their motherboards ;)

I have had a Dell before. A Vostro 1500. It still works after 4 years of moderate use. The wireless card crapped out, but that was a simple eBay fix. ;)
Can always get more RAM. I think my processor was my lowering factor with my netbook, not my RAM.

I'll compare the two and see what I want.

@peter AFAIK, when not using the GFX to its potential, you are not using much power.

The first link doesn't work for me. I despise HP, sorry

it's a p6100 proc

the i3 is faster, but 4gb ddr3 and a 500gb hdd with long battery life is something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom