Upgrading HP 32 bit Vista to Win7 64 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Queen

Solid State Member
So I have a HP Pavillion a6177c
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2.33 Asus IPIBL-LA mobo
GeForce 7350LE, HD 400gig sata 7200rpm
HP says that it is upgradable to 64 bit and so does Windows.
Currently it has 2-1gig PC2-5300 of ram, with 2 open slots.
I am looking at doing a full reinstall of win7 64 bit and adding this
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT
or something similar. Are there any hiccups to this sort of deal that anyone is aware of or something wrong with my plans. I have had to reload os many times on Win ME and done a repair boot on xp and that is the extent of any kind of reload scenerio on an OS system.
Any input appreciated.

you shouldn't have a problem. i would say just make sure you have any important data backed up first though, because a reinstall means formatting your hdd. the whole process is very simple too.

What do I need to do for drivers? Are they the same for the 32 bit vs the 64 Bit for the same equipment? This computer was more of a media center so it has a tv tuner, wireless mouse and keyboard that came with it, card reader installed, and the dvd rewrite drive, the only disc that came with it was for the monitor. However it does have some sort of make a boot up cd program on it.

it depends on the part, whether the drivers are the same for both 32 and 64 bit or not. windows 7 should auto detect all your hardware and provide generic "microsoft" drivers to make your parts usable enough while you download the latest drivers.

me personally, for things like the mobo drivers, the ones that windows provides usually work fine so i just leave them. if it ain't broke don't fix it right? :p but for things like your gfx card you will want to get the latest ones.

In this computer am I going to be able to upgrade the processor? or even though it is still a socket 775, is the 45nm processors incapatible with the same socket in a 65nm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom