Building my very first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeweez

Solid State Member
Hi everyone. I have been looking for a forum kinda like this to ask this question since I am very scared of buying all these parts since it is my very first computer that I will build.

These are all of the parts. I have already bought the case for it.

Hopefully I am doing this right because I would love to built my very first PC.

I hope sharing my wishlist will work. If you click this link it will give you all of the parts that i have in my list for the computer but the case (Since I already bought it.)

Amazon.com: Jose Reyes: New PC

^^That is the list^^

And this is the case
Amazon.com: GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis (Black): Electronics

Would of all these items be good? Compatible?

Thank you for any advise!!

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H specs
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev. 2.1)

Memory
1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR3 2000(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

So, DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM is preferable. What you have selected is DDR3 1600 MHz RAM ($54)
See: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN3X2048-1333C9 (order two if wanted)--better quality, guaranteed RAM.

Chipset
1. North Bridge: AMD 890GX
2. South Bridge: AMD SB850

AMD 890GX SB850 Chipset Debut: Phenom II X6 Ready
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - by Marco Chiappetta in Motherboards
AMD 890GX SB850 Chipset Debut: Phenom II X6 Ready - HotHardware

"The 890GX is a nice step forward for the AMD platform. In terms of features, an argument can be made that the 890GX / SB850 combination is the most advanced desktop chipset currently available. The Radeon HD 4290 IGP is one of, if not the most powerful integrated graphics solution on the market and the SB850 is the first Southbridge to natively support SATA 6G, even if the latter doesn't mean much in terms of performance at this point in time."

Hard Drive
HDD selected is 1TB at $63. (Compare Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive)
Largest I would go with, at present is 750GB, like the one here: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Two smaller is preferable to one larger of equal capacity, especially cache size, like 2 X Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive -- 32MB cache total, double the number of needles seeking data. More money but better performance -- your choice.

Or, at 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

And I'd go with Newegg over Amazon any day!

Ultimately, it's only you who can decide.

Best wishes and welcome to the world of custom-builds -- it all depends on what you want(but you asked)!

Thank you very very much for he awesome post! I am going to switch out the RAM sticks for two of the ones you linked me and also going to replace the hard drive for one that you linked as well.

Now I am kinda confused about the middle part. Does the processor that I have on my wishlist work or should I get that one that you have linked as well? I am sorry if the question seems dumb but I had to ask it lol.

1600mhz ram would work fine on that board. i would keep the original g.skill set you had listed, this way you'd still have 2 slots available if you want to add more ram later. getting that corsair ram would fill all your slots with just 1gig sticks, and it would cost more for the same amount.

all the parts in your original list were good choices, but if take a look over at newegg, you should be able to spend a bit less with their combo deals. plus their regular prices are usually better.

this is a bit of a revamp to your build with some changes. if i totaled up your amazon build correctly, this build should be about $21 cheaper with a total of $40 available in rebates.

cpu/mobo (the combo comes with an asus 890gx mobo instead)
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
+
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

ram/psu (the ram runs at the same speed and timings but it's in a combo with a rebate so it's a better deal, along with the newest version of corsair's 650tx)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
+
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

gfx card (still an xfx 6850, but it has a beefier heatsink than their release model so it should run cooler)
Newegg.com - XFX HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

hdd
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

optical drive
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

heatsink
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

the hdd and heatsink do cost less on amazon, but i figured it would cost less overall after shipping costs to get everything from one place.

Confused, Joeweez? That's the way it gets when such a question is asked. Take what info you need and leave the rest!
My thing is performance. The reasons I suggest what I do is just that. Others have different priorities. They, therefore, make different suggestions based on their priorites. You, likewise, have yours.

It's kinda like asking in a Linux forum, which distro is the best? You'll get a hundred different answers. Best wishes to you and yours!

Confused, Joeweez? That's the way it gets when such a question is asked. Take what info you need and leave the rest!
My thing is performance. The reasons I suggest what I do is just that. Others have different priorities. They, therefore, make different suggestions based on their priorites. You, likewise, have yours.

It's kinda like asking in a Linux forum, which distro is the best? You'll get a hundred different answers. Best wishes to you and yours!

Very well said! Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom