Need Help Buying a CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you have your fans blowing up toward the top of the case. Is that just the only way it would fit, or did you decide that was the best configuration? I've seen them both ways, but not all cases have a 200mm fan blowing out the top of the case either. Thanks for the pictures and for your help :)

I installed it that way purposely.

Heat rises, so I figured might as well blow it straight up. I've checked around, and most people agree that if possible, exhaust out the top.

Also draws heat and air over the NB cooler this way.

The first images are of my Tuniq 120 and xfx 680i a1 board, which has a larger NB cooler, with fan, and it exhausted side ways.

Don't point it up unless you have an exhaust fan right above it. Most cases have an exhaust fan at the top of the back panel, in which case you would want to orient the heatsink and fan like my pictures show.

Well, I just ordered the Thermaltake Frio. I'll try to position it blowing upward, since I have the exhaust fan on the top of the case. Hopefully, it fits. I'll try to post some pictures once it's in so anyone else with this board will have something to reference. I'll also be back for some advice on overclocking. Thank you for your time everyone.

Well, I installed the Thermaltake Frio yesterday. The northbridge heat sink actually ended up not being a problem at all. I could have positioned the cooler horizontally or vertically and it wouldn't have gotten in the way. The mosfet heat sink is the only thing that caused trouble. I ended up positioning the Frio horizontally (blowing from front to back) because to position it vertically would have required a little bit of Dremel work on one of the plastic fan mounts of the cooler so it could clear that mosfet heat sink. Here are a few pictures:

Positioned vertically, here's the contact with the mosfet heat sink.
dscn0191ab.jpg

Also positioned vertically, just barely misses the memory.
dscn0198p.jpg

Positioned horizontally, doesn't come close to the memory or NB heat sink.
dscn0205o.jpg

And finally, here it is fully screwed in.
dscn0203g.jpg

Oh and what's the deal with the hole in the antec 900 behind the motherboard conveniently positioned so you can access TWO of the four CPU cooler holes. Pain in the ***. Here's hoping I installed it correctly and won't have to reseat it any time soon.

EDIT: Oh, and in addition, I sat the motherboard in the case and positioned the Frio both ways. It doesn't appear to get in the way of the side panel fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom