$500 Laptop/Netbook for College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idioteque

Baseband Member
My budget probably won't exceed $500 and I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. I know very little about the mobile computing world, so I'm not quite sure how far this will get me.

Anyway, my priorities are fast booting and processing, lightweight, and a decent battery life (hopefully 5+ hours). I won't be playing games on it as I have my desktop for that. Size of hard drive doesn't matter as I'll rarely save things on the computer itself. Screen size isn't too important; probably 12"+ though. I don't care about blu-ray. Touchscreen would be cool, but I certainly do not expect it in a system at this budget. I'm open to running linux to save from buying an OS. If you need more info on what I want out of this system, please ask.

Thanks a bunch to anyone who posts suggestions!

Mobile means portable to me and laptops are surely portable! :p

Found that same model at Amazon for 394 shipped, so not bad at all. I'm open to other options closer to $500 if it comes with more processing power and RAM though.

Thanks for replying by the way. :D

All netbooks come with max 2GB, and mostly the same processor. When you go to a notebook for that price range, you are getting a very low grade.

Am I correct in that the following is the same as your suggested system but without Windows 7?
Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC 1215T-MU10-BK Black AMD Athlon II Neo K125(1.70GHz) 12.1" WXGA 2GB DDR3 Memory 320GB HDD NetBook

If so, I may be leaning toward this if my budget decreases.

HP Pavilion dm1 and dm1z series | HP® Official Store

bam. 11.6" screen, 3gb ddr3, amd fusion cpu, 250gb hdd, up to 9.5 hours battery life, $450

or this one
Dell - Inspiron Laptop / Intel® Pentium® Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Tomato Red - I14R-1440TMR
4gb ddr3, 500gb hdd, 14" screen, probably less battery life, has a 2ghz intel proc, can't find the specific model though.

That HP dm1 looks attractive at that price. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of Dells, by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom