Downgrading to XP from Win7 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo11b

Beta member
Hello, I have a fairly new Dell laptop that came with Windows 7 64, and was wondering if I could instead wipe it and use win xp? Will it work since im sure my drivers are designed for win7 64? Thanks!

Deebo

It'll work but there's no way we can know is everything if going to work correctly.

You also need to take into consideration how much ram you have and choose accordingly for the right version of XP (64-bit) so it is all recognized.

You can usually find the drivers on Dell's website. Download them first and store them in a usb or external hard drive.

May I ask why you want to downgrade from 7 to XP?

If they have drivers for XP, it will work. If only Vista or 7 drivers, no other than the default XP drivers is provided, which is slim.

XP is also a bad OS to go back on for its age and security flaws. What don't you like about 7?

a lot of it depends on what the laptop is and if there are drivers for xp. if it's all newer components I would say most likely you're going to have something (or somethings) that won't work with xp, and you're just going to have a headache on your hands.

so the question(s) are, why do you want to downgrade (is it just personal preference, or for business) and 2) what is the laptop model.

Well Win7 is okay.. Just thinkin going to xp would free up some resources. Plus it is more compatible with certain programs. Abstract Hero, I have 3 gigs of ram, and is there even a 64bit version of xp? *confused*

Ok I will just stick with 7.. I have a desktop with xp but just wanted to see what it would do on here. Makes sense that there would most likely be some incompatibilities. Thanks again for all of your replies.

P.S. Thanks for the replies people :)

Deebo

Replied a lil while ago but says a mod has to authorize my reply before it is posted.
Yes, it did. It also said to please wait... /S0ULphIRE

Deebo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom