5GHz+, random question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I've often wondered, that now CPUs are much more easily getting past the 5GHz mark, could there be any problems with them being too fast? Is there any limitation in computing, similar to the 3.8GB RAM limit, that could cause problems in the future as we get higher and higher clocks?

Just a random question :p

regards,
Yami

I don't believe so because I think that the 'limitation' is inherent to the clock speed. I don't think there's any limitation (in terms of bit addressing like x86 vs x64 with ram) with the CPU speed as any limitation is of itself, not an external factor.

I remember reading about how long ago in the dark ages, there were like, 2 modes to the CPUs, fast and slow, and games designed to run at the slower speed would be unplayably fast in the fast mode :p It's kinda what made me think of this.

If you are able to OC your processor, regardless of temperature (say, you are using liquid helium) then I believe that the motherboard becomes the limiting factor. I would assume that if you got some insane overclock (whatever the max is that a high end mobo can support), then the motherboard would not survive very long.

Oh, Slaymate...

It does depend on the motherboard, methinks. The board NB and Memory can only go so fast until it burns.

I was really thinking more along the lines of software, rather than hardware.

i think you're missing the idea of the question.. it's not about overclocks and what the boards can handle, it's more is there a limit to the CPU frequency that an OS can read, not is there a limit of what a motherboard can handle, which will always be a case, you'll never be able to achieve unlimited clocks, it's more if intel came out tomorrow with a stock 7ghz processor with a board and ram that would work with it, would the OS load and be able to use all 7ghz that the cpu has to offer due to physical limitations like bit addressing in 32bit operating systems.

and the thing with hte 3.8gb limit in 32bit os's is that it was never thought that we would achieve more than 4gb of ram when they coded the first os's, much like when major programs were coded in cobal (like financial applications) they figured that the code wouldn't last until 2000, so when 2000 came they had to change the way the date was shown due to programmed limitations. the next step for the coding now are things like 64bit which can use up to 128gb of ram, which won't be seen for an insanely long time.

another similar situation would be IPv4 and IPv6. nobody thought that all the addresses of IPv4 would run out, but with IPv6 there are more IP's than we will see allocated for a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom