Help With WC System Structure and Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm66554

Baseband Member
Hey, I am thinking of re-installing my WC system to cool the CPU and GFX. However I only have 1x 120 Radiator, which will be placed where the drive bays would go... I am trying to figure out the best way to do this, so far I have:

Reservoir > Pump > Radiator > CPU > GPU > back to res.

And have 2 questions:

1. Is it reasonable to cool both the CPU and GPU with a 120 radiator and 1 loop? My main prioroty is the CPU, which I havent OCed yet but want at least 4GHz, hence why I place it before the GPU.

2. Which fan would you recommend for the radiator? I was thiniking of 1 fan in front of the radiator blowing out of the case, and two doubled up behind the radiator also blowing in the same direction. I need speed control for flexibility of noise, but also want high airflow.

Thanks.

i wouldn't recommend cooling 2 components with just a 120 rad.

as far as a fan setup goes do [<--fan][rad][<--fan][back of case] the <-- being the direction of airflow. I think using 2 fans doubled up on the exhaust side wouldn't really do much, you'd be better off investing in a higher CFM fan than getting 2.

If your rig uses anything much newer than a p-4 and a 6600gt that 120 rad is going to struggle to keep them cool.

If you can't work a larger radiator into the mix, stick with air.

I have an i7 920 and GTX480.

The [<--fan][rad][<--fan][back of case] is the same as [fan-->][rad][fan-->][front of case], its impractical for me to mount it interally on the rear.

The case is an Antec 900, I have no idea how I would make use of a bigger rad, the current one would occupy a height and width of 4 drive bay slots, and the reservoir would be mounted on the rear. Have had this setup once before but with just an AMD 9500, temps were almost half of the stock fan (around 24-28).

According to HWMonitor and AfterBurner my idle (running for 3 hours and after some video encoding) CPU temp is 48-56 between the cores all stock, and GPU temp is 49 @ 820MHz (less than CPU which is one reason I wanna get rid of the stock i7 cooler - and yes I have took it apart and put new thermal paste on while triple checking that its all connected well).

definitely wouldn't recommend doing an i7 and a 480 on a 120. you won't see a major improvement over air. the antec 900 is meant to have a rear mounted rad, that's why it's got the holes in the back. you could mount the 120 or a 220 there (you'd just need longer screws).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom