Dell Dimension 3100 Memory Upgrade- No Joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedarwoodron

Beta member
I added 2 sticks of 1Gb DDR2 PC2-4200 memory to the two available slots in an older Dell Dimension 3100 (it had only 2-256 sticks when I got it). The one I have runs at 2.53Ghz/533Mhz and the BIOS is A03 (dated 10/8/2005). When I started the system up (Windows XP Pro w/ SP2), only 1 Gb of memory was reconized. Both sticks are identical and properly positioned. In F2 mode, the DIMM 1 slot reads "empty", while the DIMM 2 slot shows 1Gb, as installed. I read elsewhere that a BIOS upgrade (to A04) is the solution, but Dell website comments indicated that was needed for a motherboard upgrade, and made no reference to RAM upgrades.

Can anyone inform me of a way to get the second stick to be recognized? I really don't want to fiddle with the BIOS if that is not called for.

Thanks
Cedarwoodron

first try re-seating the ram. even if you were sure the first time, you never know ;)

are they identical sticks, bought as a pair? it's possible that one of the sticks could be bad. try putting the one in slot 2 (the one that's recognized) into slot 1 and see if it's recognized. if it is then the first stick could be bad.

The BIOS update usually fixes memory reading issues with those systems, it would be a good idea to do what Muffin said and then try the BIOS update.

Well, I did the inspection and re-seating and switch of each stick, but the same issue of only one channel being recognized persists. So, I will try the BIOS upgrade and see if there is a better result.
Talk back later.
Cedarwoodron

Thanks to MuffinMan and CommancheCorps for assistance with Dell Dimension 3100 Ram stick issues. The A04 BIOS upgrade plus "fresher" ram sticks did the job and I now "blaze away" at 1.99 Gb! Hey- it may not be lightspeed, but it works for me!
Cedarwoodron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom