Here's my next upgrade...what do ya think

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariokk

Beta member
I'm upgrading my current hardware which is pathetic by todays standards.....please feel free to tell me what you think.

Current hardware.

Mobo--MSI k7n420
Ram -- 512 ddr pc2100
maxtor 40 gig
AMD athlon xp 1600+

will upgrade to:

Mobo---either MSI K7N2-Delta2-LSR or EPOX EP-9NDA3+
CPU---AMD athlon 64 3200+ maybe 3400
Ram---corsair xms extreme 2x512
havent' decided on HD yet.
GPU-- either 6800 ultra or X800 still deciding.

-mobo, go for the MSI
-good CPU
-good ram
-if you have the $$, go for a 10,000 RPM hardrive. They are extremely fast.
-for the GPU, i suggest the 6800 ultra because i have heard many bad reviews on the X800

Mobo---either MSI K7N2-Delta2-LSR or EPOX EP-9NDA3+
CPU---AMD athlon 64 3200+ maybe 3400
You've got a socket A board listed with a socket 754 chip. If you want an Athlon 64bit CPU you're going to have to get something like the MSI K8N Neo Platinum:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo_Platinum&class=mb

So make sure you know what kind of board and CPU you're getting because that's a big difference in CPU's and motherboards what you got listed there :p

But all in all I suggest either you go with MSI or ABit as your motherboard manufacturer no matter if you go AMD64 or just the XP series.

Also I suggest you get the eVGA 6800GT as eVGA puts the same heatsink on all the cards, you'll be able to overclock it to and possibly past 6800Ultra speeds and it'll save you $200.

The ram you have selected is good :D

And as ak said if you can look into a 10,000 RPM sata drive. Copying files, window loading time, installing files, is all much faster. But if not I suggest you go with Western Digital as the manufacturer, but that's just my personal pref. The best two HD makers I think are Seagate and Western Digital, WD placing #1 in my book :D

Get the 939 Msi board and the 6800Gt. The ram is extreme! I love it and you will too! If your saving so much on a video card then maybe you could look into getting a 3500+ 939 chip. Yeah the HD is a good idea to but kinda pricey but nubius is right it works wonders on windows. By the way nice system!:p It almost looks like mine in a way!:D

6800GT is your best bet, like everybody says. The X800XT P.E. is good but is too darn expensive and the X800 Pro sucks the big one in Doom 3, and even has slight disadvantages in D3D9 games, such as Far Cry and HL2. Get the eVGA 6800GT which can be clocked past Ultra speeds.

Yeah, you really would be better off if you saved for a Socket 939 board. AMD Will continue upgrading socket 939 plus it has dual channel memory which that XMS series will then really rock! The Socket 754 board doesn't have that. Also it could be he simply made a mistake and isn't really considering a 64bit system. They aren't really needed at the moment, but it basically means your computer will be ready for the future.

Um, I agree with nubius however if you are on a tight budget then go for the 754. Everything else looks good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom