Upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZSPECIAL

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade my RAM and I have some doubts. I've got 4 slots Dual Channel and they're currently housing Corsair 1333Mhz (PC10666) XMS3 CL9 2x2Gb. So i've got 2 slots free and I was wondering if I could insert 8GB instead of another 4GB withouth worrying about incompatibilities. If I can insert 2x4GB what's the best option price/quality wise:

• Corsair PC3-10666 8GB XMS3 CL9 (2x4GB) DDR3 100 Euros (Basically the same I have but with 4GB each).
  • Corsair PC3-12800 8GB Vengeance CL9 (2x4GB) DDR3 119 Euros (Different Specs and Different Clocks)
  • Corsair PC12800 8Gb XMS3 CL9 (4x2Gb) DDR3 116 Euros (Discard the 2 that are already inserted and simply use these, it seems reasonable since it's about the same price as the others)
  • Corsair PC10600 8Gb Dominator Bemp CL7 (4x2Gb) DDR3 162 Euros (These are expensive but they have just the frequency I need a great latency and they're Dominator series, again the already filled slots would take a hike)

It's worth noting that my computer only handles frequencies up to 10666 the other ones it downclocks them, something about my core i7 only handling that.

I have preference over Corsair only because it's the ones that are already in the slots, if someone can come up with a PC10666 DDR3 4x2GB solution from another brand i'll be grateful. I also would like to know opportunities in 4x4GB but can't seem to find anywhere.

What motherboard are you using? Is there any particular reason for wanting to upgrade from the current 4GB?

I'm using Asus P7P55D EVO as motherboard. I have 2 slots empty and that's the main reason I want to buy more RAM, also I want to run a private server of Call Of Duty and Minecraft for friends and I don't want to have a shortage of RAM even if I am running a server and doing other things. I also use CAD software so extra RAM is always welcome.
I'm inclined to buy the Corsair PC12800 8Gb XMS3 CL9 (4x2Gb) DDR3 116 Euros or the G-Skill equivalent.

The Asus P7P55D EVO can handle 1600/1333/1066 (12800/10666/8500) and can do 2200 (17600) with an overclock, mate. If you mix RAM speeds it will drop to the lowest one for all of them, though.

My advice would be to stick with the same if you keep what you have, or go with 1600 if you replace it all.

Thanks for all the help, I've decided to buy 2 packs of G-SKILL PC3-12800 4GB Ripjaws CL7 RM (2x2GB) DDR3 which leaves me with better latency, clock speed and overall memory RAM!

Be sure to check in your BIOS to make sure it sets the latency correctly. sometimes they do, but sometimes they don't. If not, just set it to what the RAM is rated for.

The same goes for the RAM's speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom