not seeing secondary HD since replacing CMOS battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT_N8

In Runtime
I had an issue a few months ago where my dell desktop wouldn't turn, on. It sounded like it was on but nothing on the screen. Someone on here recommended i replace the CMOS battery, which i did and it seemed to resolve the issue. However now it is not seeing the secondary Hard drive i installed. I have the secondary setup as a slave drive and it was working perfectly before. I figured it cleared out the BIOS setup, so i enabled the Primary Slave to "auto" and it says can't find the drive in "drive 1" and nothing shows in diskmgt. Anyone have any ideas on what setup step i'm missing?

Thanks,
Nate

for the primary master is says "hard drive" for my main one which it sees and boots from. However, if i try to enable anything else it doesn't give me the option of HD, it has "auto" and then when i enable it, it displays as "unknown device".

I don't know what you mean by "Auto". You need to answer the questions already asked. Is this a PATA (also known as EIDE, IDE) drive? If PATA, the jumpers on both drives on the same cable MUST be set to CS for cable select, or the one on the end set to MA for master, and the drive in the middle set to SL for slave. You cannot have two slaves or two masters on the same cable, and if one drive is set to CS, the other must be set to CS. You should not have to do anything in the BIOS to have the drives recognized.

If SATA, then it is only 1 drive per cable.

It is PATA, the primary is set to master and the secondary is set to Slave and they are both on the same cable. I just assumed that since the drive wasn't showing up that i would have needed to change something in the BIOS since everything got reset when i changed the battery.

Agreed. When you boot, the BIOS should see the new drive. The only thing you might need to do is select Save and Exit so it is not re-discovering anew it each time. And make sure the Master drive is on the opposite end of the cable from the motherboard connection.

So i tried all that with no luck, however when i went to burn a CD the other day, i noticed that it isn't seeing my CD drives as well? They light up and i haven't made any other changes to them other than replacing the CMOS battery?? Any ideas

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom