Can Beep Codes be Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Award Bios: Long beeps in an endless loop = No DRAM installed or detected.

The motherboard uses PC800 RIMM/RDRAM, is this what the above beep is referring to? I tested the memory in another system and it worked well.

Also, I cleared the CMOS. I removed the battery, and according to the motherboard manual I also needed to short two pins using a screwdriver. I let the screwdriver touch the pins for a few minutes. Had the CMOS battery out for about 10 minutes.

Any advice is appreciated, trying to see if I can get this thing to work. The CPU tested fine in another box, as of now I have only the CPU and RAM installed. When I remove the RAM I get no beeps. CPU fan kicks on and then shuts off a few seconds after. Shrug

i dont use RIMMS, but i believe thy need to be installed in pairs, and the remaining empty slots have to have something inserted into them(i dont remember what thy are called[i never used RIMMS])... doesnt the mobo intructino book say this information?

Yes, I have the PDF file for the motherboard. I currently have four banks and all four are full. But the beep code indicates a memory problem, and the ram has been tested. I'm just looking for any suggestions.

Nope. 128MBx4 is currently in the system. (Max 2GB) I'm guessing the motherboard is shot unless anyone has any options.

Or you have a shot RAM stick.

It's also still possible you're violating something in the protocols of the motherboard's RAM array. Check the technical specs. It's possible you could also have the RAM setup incorrectly in BIOS.

are all four sticks matched and of the same brand? they definetly have to be matched sticks.

another idea, i have a mobo that has bad contacts and only one bank works. too lazy to getin there with a micro screwdriver to pry them to where they make contact.

Thank you for the replies. I have tested all four ram chips on another board, even used a utility program to make sure they were fine, which they were. It's certainly possible there is a problem with one of the ram banks on the motherboard. By looking at them closely they appear to be fine, but I know that doesn't mean anything. I can't get into the BIOS, I just get the endless loops of long beeps. If they ram works in another system, and the CPU works in another system, it must be the Motherboard or BIOS. When I attach a FDD it is not accessed, I had hoped by popping on the latest flasg utility and file it might fix itself, but no luck. It's only worth $10-$20, I'll just find another cheap board. I aquired a bunch of MOBO's from work, they were tossing them out, this looks to be the second bad board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom