My Server Transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

IMG_0073.JPG

I replaced the old northbridge heatsink with another Zalman. I used thermal adhesive tape, as prescribed by Slay.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

I added on a slim, 12mm thick Scythe Kaze-Jyuni, 2000RPM. To fit inside the case to cool both heatsinks. Via BIOS, my CPU now sits at 65C Not as hot as it once was.

Coming up, a smaller PSU, HDD rack and soon going RAID.

Notha update! :)

IMG_0076.JPG

So my dad and I worked on mounting it. When he made pilot holes, we were ******. This desk isn't solid wood. Just on the outside. So, we had good hard screws, it seemed to work ok. If this ever breaks, plan B. Don't ask.

The case is 1" from the top, allowing my fan to cool the CPU and Northbridge passive heatsinks.

This came a weeks ago, forgot to add.

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

My HDD Rack! Since my case is limited of space, I needed something to fit the drives in. I first thought an external, but I would need eSATA, so I found this (just the case itself) for $30 on Newegg. I was shocked, they sell this that low?! The architecture looked beautiful! It needs a 20/24 pin PSU on it. So I used my Antec Earthwatts 380. Secured it to the top of the case by cable ties. :p

rackneater.jpg

Also had to think of some way to keep the cables neat. Why not more cable ties? :p
All I needed were the SATA cords.

IMG_0085.jpg

I needed longer SATA cables. I got these. They were about $2 each, but 2 sets of 2, different colors so I know which RAID's the drives are on. Plan to do 2 x RAID 1. I don't know how long I will need them, but better too long than too short. They're 36"! :lol:

So, next phase, I will be getting the new smaller PSU so I can fit my PCI controller card in. Then pump these babies up. Later I need another 1.5TB HDD to make my second RAID, but that can wait. Currently have 2 x 640GB and 1.5TB.

Tiny update.

We decided the top mount wasn't going to work. So we decided to use the side of the desk. Somwhere that we can just bolt it through, not have to worry about the top of the desk.

IMG_0087.jpg

Yes, that is a case side panel. Pretty old one. 2000 era? Nice and sturdy. Wood on bottom is used to slide in and out the case when needed. We curved that using a vice and an old door swag we found in our basement. Was easy to bend, just hard getting the bottom part flattened. Where the case latches catch the panel. Also we had to use a hacksaw to cut vents in the top and bottom for ventilation. That was the hardest part.

IMG_0088.jpg

Also, on the flip side of my desk, is a case top panel. Those things came off easily in the olden days. :p So, they are connected by bolts. Only 3, because I need space to "hang" my keyboard. Where the bolts are now, it clears the keyboard, but not the USB wire coming out the back.

IMG_0089.jpg

Bare pic of keyboard holder.

IMG_0090.jpg

And all together now. We still need to get some wire and secure the case better in the open area. That should happen around the same time I get the Mini-ITX PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom