Looking for a nice flash drive to do encrypted back-ups on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot take out a factor of the death of a hard drive (being dropped) of the equation and then compare the two.

You must consider every way a drive is going to be used then determine its viability.

You are the one coming up with the argument that movable drives which wear down are better than a solid state drive.

I will agree that after 300,000 - 1,000,000 bit writes they will become less reliable and corrupt more, but that depends on how often the backups are made.

Unless you can show me something more conclusive (which I have indeed googled and I have worked with computers for well over 10 years, 3 of which professionally), I will never agree that a movable drive which have moving components that can fail is more reliable than a solid state drive which does not have any moving parts.

Thing is, stuff like dropping a hard drive can be avoided by just being careful. Heck, even then I've dropped my drives a **** load and they're still working fine. Hard drives aren't frail, and these days have protection built in for the very purpose of protecting a drive from falls. In fact, the reason most drives fail after being dropped is because they were in use while that happened (e.g. suddenly disconnected during a write session). Flash drives suffer from the same problem just as much, if not more so.

You are the one coming up with the argument that movable drives which wear down are better than a solid state drive.
I didn't say 'better', I said 'more reliable'. Are you honestly saying that you think an SSD (whether that be a flash drive, actual SSD, whatever) is more reliable than a standard 7200rpm mechanical hard drive?

I will never agree that a movable drive which have moving components that can fail is more reliable than a solid state drive which does not have any moving parts.
Your entire argument seems to be based off the fact that a HDD has moving parts while an SSD doesn't. I KNOW a good hard drive (e.g. WD Black) is going to last me years, even under heavy usage. I cannot say the same for an SSD and neither can anyone else at the moment because SSDs are a relatively new technology, at least where consumer products are concerned; hard drives have had years and years to be improved. So what am I going to trust my backup to? Seems like a pretty simple choice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom