Planning on upgrading - Sandy Bridge issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
So, I'm planning on upgrading to the i7 2600K (or i5 2500K), since my E8400 isn't quite up to the job any more, particularly in games (and wasn't what you'd call high-end when I got it). Having had it since 2008 (or perhaps 2007?) I really feel it's time to upgrade.

However the main issue is that of the SATA ports; the SATA3 ones are fine to use, but any board I would have the capital to buy would only have two, whereas I have three hard drives and probably getting an SSD, and probably another hard drive fairly soon.

Now, what I'm wondering is whether I should wait until they've sorted out this bad SATA controller issue, or buy now and RMA should it become an issue.

Thanks,
- Yami

Well, I'd stiill go SB, even with the issue... But hrd to find in UK according to kmmaxx, aka oreo cookie kid....
Get a cheap board, then upgrade when theyre fixed.

It's only hard to find on eBuyer, the site that kmanmx uses. There's loads in stock on all the other sites :p

It's only hard to find on eBuyer, the site that kmanmx uses. There's loads in stock on all the other sites :p

My account doesn't work on Scan.co.uk
Overclockers sent me used products.
LambdaTek take too long to dispatch.
Dabs are expensive.

:lol:

Plus i'm really impatient and Ebuyer dispatch up till about 11pm with next day delivery before 12am.

The Asus P8P67 Pro I'm using has (4) - 6gbs ports I'm using for (3) SSD's and a std. HDD and then I'm using (2) out of the (4) 3gbs ports (the faultly ones) for my optical drives. I'm not having any problems but I have already signed up for a RMA replacement when there available :thumbsup:

Ah, see I was planning on getting the P8P67 Pro, and I had misread how many SATA 6 ports it has.

The P8P67 Pro has a JMicron controller with (2) sata 6gbs ports and it has a Marvel controller with (2) sata 6gbs ports :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SYBA SY-PEX40030.JPG
    SYBA SY-PEX40030.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 88
So waiting till April or whenever it is fixed is out of the question?

I don't mind waiting, I'm just wondering whether I should wait or not.

However, since the board I'm thinking of getting actually has 4 SATA3 ports instead of the 2 I originally thought, it has enough functioning ports to support all my drives (well, either my BD drive or DVD drive would have to go on the SATA 3, but I use both so little I don't mind that).

There are other options!
[...]
Anyway, hope this helps!

Soar
Thanks for the advice, however because of what I just above, I probably won't need one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom