VGA to TV-out trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo0031

Beta member
Hello, I recently bought a VGA to Component (RGB) cable and it arrived today. I bought it solely for the purpose of hooking my old HD-Ready TV as my second monitor.

Here's the situation. My laptop (Vaio NS) only has a VGA output, and I'm pretty sure it's capable of TV-Out. So before buying the cable, I did quite a bit of browsing and I do remember reading about successful VGA to component TV attempts.

The trouble I've encountered though, is when I get the two connected through the cable, and with the monitor set to both, or the VGA out, the TV just displays GREEN and PINK flickers, or flashes. There are slight moments where I could make a silhouette of my desktop wallpaper, between the flashes.

I have tried setting the second monitor's refresh rate from 60 to 120, to no avail. Nor has changing the resolution down to 480 or to 1080p.

Does anyone know of a setting that will work, or does this hardware set up just wouldn't work? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If it's any help, my graphics card is a build in Intel Series 4 Chipset family, but says GMA 4500MHD in the properties.

Thanks in advance to any help! If I'm right in thinking my settings are wrong in both software and hardware terms, can anyone offer a low-cost alternative?

What is the description of your TV? Could be a setting in your TV itself that is causing this.

Thanks for your reply!

My TV should be working fine, as it still plays DVD and normal TV until a few weeks ago when we replaced it with a newer TV in the living room. There is a faulty line of dead pixels down the middle which disappears from time to time. But is there any way I can make sure that it's not my laptop's set up's fault before I rule out the laptop's settings' fault? I'm pretty sure it's easier to check the PC side than the TV... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom