Upgrading my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deanersaur

Beta member
hi i have an hp a1654n Desktop and i am thinking about upgrading the processor from an intel core 2 duo E6320 to an intel pentium D 960: Compare Intel® Products,

i have researched the mobo: an asus P5BW-LA Motherboard Specifications, P5BW-LA (Basswood) - HP Customer Care (United States - English) and i know that they are compatible but what are your thoughts?

i have never swapped a processor before but i am confident that i can do it if i get the right instructions. some advice on swapping them would be nice...

thanks

I hate to be the one to break it to you but that would be downgrading your computer.

I realize that 3.6GHz looks to be more than 1.86GHz, but you are comparing a VW Beetle to a Eos. The C2D is from a newer generation of processors that run much more efficiently than the Pentium D's... regardless of what the GHz say. You cannot go by the GHz speed anymore... and haven't been able to do so for a few years now.

well i'm glad i asked then.. so it would be better to upgrade to the best C2D processor that my mobo can handle than to a pentium D even though it would have a lower Ghz spec... that's interesting. thanks for the tip anything else i should know before i spend any money??

You are already running about the best it can handle. It says Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo. There is a difference.

you will have to upgrade your motherboard to go with a better CPU. If you decide to go that route, post up your budget and we will see what we can figure out for you.

hhmm must be a mistake on the part of HP's website then (the Core Duo thing) because right beside where they say Core Duo they list the E6x00 series (conroe) processors as being compatible with my L5BW-LA mobo and the E6x00's are all core 2 duo... sooo i should be able to upgrade from my e6320 to a e6700... right?? the sticker on my computer says core 2 duo as well... lol URL="http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=29754,27251,"]http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=29754,27251,[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom