How often should you re-apply thermal compound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've been dual boxing WoW for a couple hours now and keeping an eye on SpeedFan and temps have definitely gone up. Either me disabling the fan control in BIOS or turning the rear fan to blow out changed something. The computer is getting hotter now.

Leave HWMonitor running while your gaming, it will record temps, when your done, post up and let us see.

I have a feeling your heatsink is clogged up with dust, and there is almost never a reason what so ever that would require someone to replace thermal paste other than when removing/installing a heatsink.

Once, when you install the CPU.
I agree. You will often see folks say that TIM (thermal interface material) wears or dries out. That is not true as long as the cured bond between the two mating surfaces is not broken. If the bond remains intact, the TIM will last indefinitely. It is more likely the fan bearings will wear out first.

But if the cured bond is broken, then you must clean the surfaces and apply a fresh new layer of TIM. Note that heavy heatsink fan assemblies can break the bond if the computer is rough handled or bounced around during transport.

I disagree with the "blanket statement" that SpeedFan is no good. I will say that it does not work correctly on some systems, but I will also say the same thing for HWMonitor and most other monitoring programs too. These programs often put the wrong label to sensor so you may see the System Temp when it is actually the CPU Temp. Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). If none, I recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs, or RealTemp for Intels. These programs too may not correctly label a sensor so I use Everest to verify the temperatures (as it is usually able to match sensor with label correctly), then edit the label in the monitoring program. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others.

Do not rely on the temps shown in the BIOS. While they are likely correct, running the BIOS Setup Menu is probably the least demanding task you can ask of your computer so it does not show the temps when the system is being taxed.

I disagree with the "blanket statement" that SpeedFan is no good. I will say that it does not work correctly on some systems, but I will also say the same thing for HWMonitor and most other monitoring programs too. These programs often put the wrong label to sensor so you may see the System Temp when it is actually the CPU Temp. Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). If none, I recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs, or RealTemp for Intels. These programs too may not correctly label a sensor so I use Everest to verify the temperatures (as it is usually able to match sensor with label correctly), then edit the label in the monitoring program. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others.
It tends to be wrong more often than the others, though. Which is why we don't really recommend SpeedFan all that much.

Do not rely on the temps shown in the BIOS. While they are likely correct, running the BIOS Setup Menu is probably the least demanding task you can ask of your computer so it does not show the temps when the system is being taxed.
It can be good to check BIOS temps to see if it is overheating on startup, and not just during intensive applications. Overheating on idle is a good indicator that something is wrong, as well. And if it has high temps in the BIOS (like you said, not very taxing), then there's definitely a problem.

You're from Nebraska, eh? Don't see too many people from the SD/NE area around here.

It tends to be wrong more often than the others, though.
Well, I think most of the problems I have seen are mismatched labels to sensors. That is, the temps and fan speeds are correct, but you don't know what they go to. That can certainly be misleading and frustrating too. But Like MBM, you can edit the labels to what ever you want, if you can get them sorted out. Still I listed the motherboard disk first because those utilities are designed for their boards, and not every board ever made by every maker. And getting accurate monitoring going when you might be having heat issues is important. You can always hunt around for an alternative later. I use CoreTemp on all my systems. Has a nice desktop gadget too.

Good point about checking the BIOS. I did not mean to imply don't check them there. I was pointing that you can't assume you don't have a temperature problem just because the BIOS temps look good.
Don't see too many people from the SD/NE area around here.
Well, the Air Force put me here in 86 so I guess I'm "from" here now. Hit -7°F real temp, -27°F with wind chill this morning - up to 1.8°F real temp right now. Makes me wonder why I'm still "from" here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom