WinXP + Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

amnesty_puppy

Baseband Member
I have tried this with two different modems and neither worked. Just installed the modem as usual but when it starts to connect it either gives a "no dial tone" error or something else which i can't quite remember, possibly "hardware error" or something (it's not my computer).
The phone line works with a normal phone.

If you need any other info just ask.
Thanks, Dom.

go to devices manager and see if there are any exclamation or quiestion marks. Make sure i have the latest drivers.

Nope, no conflicts. It's using the xp driver that it installed automatically, i'd hate to think XP would be making itself not work.

make sure the phone line is connected as follows:

out from wall>>into modem>>out to phone with no splits from wall to modem

I'm pretty sure that works. Performing a modem query from the device manager gives a "modem not responding" error

sounds like a conflict between a serial type connection (printer, scanner, etc) and the modem. It can happen where it will not have any splats or exclamation points, but when running diagnostics it will say modem not responding. Try going into modem, highlight the com port its on and remove it, then go into DM, if modem is there, remove it, as well as all com ports and restart. hopefully it should redetect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom