Second HDD Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
I just got done putting a new motherboard and CPU into my computer. I have two HDDs. An 80gig Seagate that I use as my Master, and a 120gig WD that is my secondary drive. I formatted the 80gig drive and installed windows xp on it. Everything went good. All my files I wanted from the HDDs I kept on the 120gig drive. So I really hope i don't have to format it to get it to work. When I put the second drive in and start up it can't detect either drives. I also tried putting the second drive in another PC to at least try to get my files off and it did the same thing on the other PC. Where did I go wrong?

did u make shur the jumper was set properly acording to witch EIDE position u put the WD on?

tell me if this is rong .... "u put the WD back into your pc(everything in the same position) with the 80gb winXP installed, but neither dirve is detected with the WD connected. unconnect it and the 80gb is detected fine.. same happens in different pc"

cause u mention that the samething happens in a different comp, id guess that means your bios is ok and not the problem.

did u try unpluging every drive except the 2 HD's... unplug floppy, cdrom and any others. then put the 120 WD on the secondary EIDE cable, change its jumper to MA(master)[if its not already setup like that]. then start it up and see what it does.

I put it on the second IDE as master and it still doesn't detect it. But I just thought about this. When I first booted the PC after installing the new mobo/cpu and installing windows, I went into my partition on my master drive (Local D:) my second HDD was connected when I first started my PC. Ok this part may be confusing ;) On my original System my 80gig HDD was Local C: and the partition was Local E:. My second drive was Local D:. Now on the new system when I first booted up my 80gig drive was Local C: and Local D: and I had my second drive hooked up at this time but it didn't detect it. I reformated my partition (Local D:). Could it be that my second drive was still being detected as Local D: as well and got formated as well ><;;;;?

tell me if this is rong... "when u first booted it up after installing xp, your 80gb was detected, but the WD was not... however now, whenever the WD is connected, it will not detect either drive?"

how did u go about formatting the 2nd partition? was it in windows disk manager, were u can clearly see the partition size, etc? and what type of volume did u format it to.. Basic or Dynamic?

even if you formated the rong drive, that doesnt sound like it should cause a problem were neither drive is detected?

u cant boot up into windows at all with the WD connected? u didnt connect the EIDE cable backward or something did ya?

Yes, When I first booted up after the mobo/cpu install both HDDs were connected but only one was detected. I reforatted the partition in windows xp by right clicking the drive and selecting format. However I did go into the partition and the size of it was the remaining 46gigs of my 80 gig drive as it should be. I'm pretty sure the cables aren't backwards or else my pins would be bent wouldn't they? But thanks for your effort trying to help me.

there is usually a notch sticking out in the middle of the EIDE connector, so it doesnt acidently end up backward... but if yours doesnt have those notches, u have to make shur the red stripe on the cable, is lined up with pin1 on the HD. the pin #s are usually located right next to were the jumper settings are located.

if no one else has an idea, u could try posting it on WDs forum, here... http://websupport.wdc.com/forum/

it takes longer to get a reply there cause theres not a lot of ppl, but thy are noledgeable, especially since its dedicated to 1 brand.

I haven't had a chance to play with anything yet today, and I left a message on the forum there. Thanks for the suggestions. Know anything about data recovery? I may have to format the drive to have it recognized in my system. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom