Have I damaged my computer's hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRyanGuy

Beta member
Ok, so I was raging over my internet connection screwing up, and I pounded my desk pretty hard. Suddenly, my computer instantly shuts off and reboots, then says it can't find a boot device. After restarting it numerous times and watching it fail to boot up, I decided to unplug the power cable (for what it's worth, I didn't turn the computer off when doing this). I then plugged it back in. After doing this, the computer successfully booted up. It may have been slower than usual, but I may just be imagining things. Anyway, I open up WoW and log in. I noticed that my frame rate would constantly drop in areas that are not very graphic-intensive. The thing is, I usually get a constant 55-60 fps on ultra settings (with Shadow Quality reduced down to 'Fair'), so the drop in my frame rate was definitely odd to say the least. For example, in Goldshire, it dropped down to 31 frames per second (as opposed to the usual 55-60). The same drop in frames occurred in certain areas in Hellfire Peninsula.

Another odd thing is that I get 60 frames per second in what seem to be graphic-intensive areas (for example, standing near the edge of a cliff and looking down at Hellfire Peninsula (a lot of models in view), but it goes down when looking at mere crates.

I've come to the conclusion that I damaged either my processor, hard drive or video card when slamming my desk, where my tower sits. Could this really be the case? Are the damages possible to repair? Also, I should mention that I was not given any sort of error other than the initial failure to detect a boot device error.

I really want to get my frame rate back up again. Do you guys have any possible solutions or explanations! Please help!

Thank you.

I highly doubt slamming your desk damaged any parts. Hitting the tower, eh possibly but still unlikely. The only thing a "shock" from a bang would damage is the hard drive as it would cause the needle that reads the data to bang into the spindle. but again unlikely from a hand hitting a desk. Not really sure what the connection is between the bang and the reboot. Again a bang wouldn't cause you to get higher frame rates is more intensive areas and less frames in less intensive areas.

Suggestion is to update your drivers.

If you feel confident on opening your computer.....

Open it up, verify that all cables and seated securely. No obstructions in any fan assemblies. Maybe even get a can of canned air to clean it out while you are down there.
I did something like this recently to my setup, I was sitting down and whacked my knee so hard on the tower I got a BSOD and it rebooted and was fine. I am 99% sure it was my HDD's that shut down when the shock sensors kicked in to prevent damage. That and my RAID 1 array took almost 14 hours to rebuild itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom