Updated Video Card -- PC Failing POST but still windows loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Friend of mine just purchase a new ATi HD6950 2Gb Video Card.
Problem we are facing now is that when the PC boots up, it giving a POST error message saying that the video card is not working. However the the PC will still continue to boot into windows as you can here the windows starting sound in the back around.

The rest of the PC is about 4 years old. The according to the specs for the video card, it needs a 600 watt power supply. The current video card is 600 Watt? Currently all the power is connected in correctly to the Video card. Video card is also connected correctly into the motherboard.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-m56s-s3. Not sure on CPU, but it's an athlon X64 Single Core Processor.

I am going to see about changing the power supply over with my spare 750 Watt Power Supply later on this afternoon. However I am interested in hearing from any other suggestions TF might have.

Not sure what speed PCI-Express the new video card is? Does any one know if the current PCI-E speeds are backwards compatible.

[EDIT1]Does any one know if I can plug in a PCI Express 2.1 video card into a PCI Express 1.0 slot?[/EDIT1]

Thx. My friend will be happy about that. I dropped the PSU at my friends place. He's currently kicking at 650 Watt. I dropped off a 700 Watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom