video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichol

Baseband Member
Please help me...
about one month ago, when i played black n white, in the game i restart my pc forcely.
after i restart, my windows 98 SE ask me to run the win on safe mode...it seems that win can't detect my nvidia geforce 2 MMX 420 32MB.
i've try to reinstall the original driver (from the manufacture CD), restart it, and my pc run like there is no video card installed.
on system device, it said "the device not working properly,
the driver not full installed, bla bla bla (code 24)"

have clues?

well, in order to full correct driver probs that are damaged, it is recommended that you completely uninstall all vid card drivers before you reinstall them.

the way it was explained to me was that with excessive hard shut downs, the HD heads tend to make micro grooves on the hd platter. in a proper shut down the heads move to a designated "parking space" but in a hard shut down they "park" where they are possibly causing damage. where they parked may have damaged that part of the place on the hd where the drivers are.

that was a little excessive in an explanation of what could have happened and does not necessarily solve your probs. uninstall, reinstall and see what happens, perhaps get the updated drivers from the net also.

Jaks absolutely right though. During Overclocking I had many restarts and winXP didn't like it and it eventually lead to a non-bootable OS that said a system starting file had become corrupted from these random restarts...same thing could be happening here...

Also Win98 is a really old and unstable operating system especially now-a-days....if you haven't formatted, defragged, checked for Spyware, virus's or anything like that in a long time then your HD is long overdo for an overhauling and you should probably format anyway to keep it running fast. However, try jaks idea of reinstalling the drivers first...but it does sound like your HD has gotten cluttered over time also

Bump

I'm bumping this thread up since he started a second thread with the exact post and I closed that one and a couple people had attempted to offer suggestions so they can either paste them here or someone else can offer help.

I've do all that i can, i have uninstall all the video driver and install the driver again, but it result nothing...same problem...
i've use the lastest driver from nvidia, but it worse. My lovely PC stop responding after loaded to desktop...What else can i do?
Please help me...thanks

Dear Nubius...Sorry to thread this twice.

Dear Nubius...Sorry to thread this twice.
Not a problem ;)

Nichol, when was the last time your computer was formatted, defragged, cleaned of Spyware, and Virus's? If you've done none of that in quite some time then you really need to. I think if it's been a while since you've formatted then your computer is simply getting bogged down and is just full of errors and the best course of action would be to format and start fresh. Win98 is a very sucky and unstable OS as we've all used it longer than we really wanted to, but you should really try and upgrade your OS, but if you're computer can't handle it, then that's not really an option so therefore again, I recommend a full format =/ Sorry if that isn't exactly the kind of advice you wanted to hear

sure it isn't exactly the kind of advice i wanted to hear :)
i think format HDD would be the lastest option to save my PC
I was last formatted my PC about 3 months ago.
I was last scan my PC for spyware nearly everytime use adware personal SE, and it cleaned.
Virus? hmmm...my suck mcafee antivir needs to be upgraded! Sure not for free! sucks!
I've use norton system works too, and said nothing to be worried.
If i must use the final option (format), i plan to use XP for the best win OS might.
someone told to to me in this forum (i forgot what the nick was) to update my mainboard AGP driver or reinstall it. Is it sounds good for u? i've never try this before, and i'm worry this can damage my Aopen Mainboard.

someone told to to me in this forum (i forgot what the nick was) to update my mainboard AGP driver or reinstall it. Is it sounds good for u? i've never try this before, and i'm worry this can damage my Aopen Mainboard.
I don't know why you'd think it'd damage your board. Everytime you format and install your motherboard drivers, drivers for the actual AGP Slot have to be installed. So whoever it was was suggesting you try reinstalling your motherboards AGP drivers which would be called 4 in 1 drivers on VIA Chipsets I believe, GART drivers, AGP 3.0, it could be named one of those, but like I said is on your motherboard driver CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom