uninstalling a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been told to install the new drive without turning the pc on for the first time, so i wont be able to see the post. Cant i just find out weather its master, slave or both on the back of the drive where the jumper i placed? Then make the new drive master, slave or both by using the pin on the new drive, to make it the same as the old one was?

ok, kool. Thanks TheMajor!

so do you think i should turn on the pc and check it out b4 i install the new drive, or just replace the drive straight away b4 the first startup?

do u think i shoudl replace the drive or just spend more money and get a pc with a cdrw/dvd drive?

yes, u can either trun it on and check what the screen says..something like primar/secondary master or slave

and jumper the new drive that way and put it on the same connecter as the old drive was.

turn the PC off when swapping the parts though.

no, just replace it, don't spend money on a new PC

ok, but on the installation manual that came with my crrw/dvd drive, it says for best results connect it to the secoindary ide cable as master.

if the old drive is on the primary as slave (becasue hdd is prob master), shall i just replace it to the same place (primary ide as slave) or put it on secondary?

you can do both...they are right. u get better speeds with secondary but u won't really notice....on some very rare occasions u can get problems with an HD and CD device on one cable....but it should work fine

ok, so whatever place the existing drive is, i will just replace it with the new one and use the same setting (master/slave/cs) as the old one and connect it ot the same connector on the same ide cable and use the same power cable. that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom