uninstalling a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleddy4

In Runtime
when replacing a cd/dvd drive, do i need to do something in windows to uninstall it first before replacing it or do i just replace the drive?

from edd

PNP disc drives are like the easiest things to install. Just take the old one out (WHILE THE COMPUTER IS OFF) put the new one in, boot up, install drivers that came with it, and yer set.

I would just try to swap it with your omputer off. Changing devices with a running computer is dangerous. You can try Microsoft's solutions if you are experiencing problems.

So, all i need to do is take out the the cd-rom drive on the PB Imedia 3032 and replace it with my cdrw/dvdrom drive from my old pc?

are you sure the drive will work ok on the PB Imedia 3032?....becuase it is a brand new pc

and will it be recognised and will it be configured etc automatically...??

is there anything else i have to do?

it should work. get back to us if there are any problems.

Normally there is no extensive configuration needed. Unless you have a CD with drivers. Install it (reboot if needed) and test it by copiing some files and playing a DVD.

Make sure its jumpered as either Slave or Master (if there already is a master on that cable then make it a slave)

ok, i dont know what cable Packard Bell would put the existing cdrw drive on and whether there will be any other device, such as a hard drive on the same cable, but i think it will be the only device on the cable and master alreay, so if i just replace it and make sure the new drive is set to master, it should take its place and work fine? Am i right in thinking this?

Do new pc's with one cd/dvd drive usually have other devices on that cable?

you can check the post screen during startup to check if your current CD-drive is a master or slave. it could be both. if its a master u should set the new device to master, if slave, make the new device a slave.

if u are not sure u can open the case. if the current cd-drive is the only device on the cable its probably a master.

I don't know about new PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom