No video after reboot/shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Built a new system in August with an Asus M2N68-AM board and a GeForce 210 video card (running Win7 pro 32bit)

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - ASUS - ASUS M2N68-AM

Every PC needs good graphics.

The Asus has on board video, which I disabled in Windows as soon as installing and testing the video card.

To begin with I was using VGA only on the card and whenever I would reboot or boot from shut down, video would somehow revert back to the on board output. I'd have to unplug from the card, plug back into the board, change the output in Windows and plug back.
I solved that by disabling the board video in the BIOS.

Soon after I connected my TV to the HDMI to use as extended desktop for playing movies. After that the problem cropped up again...when rebooting or starting up I'd get no signal to the monitor, but if I turned the TV on, the main display had changed to the TV. Sometimes the TV would be the only display, sometimes it would just swap the TV and monitor (monitor would be the extended display).

I recently went to a dual monitor setup, so I'm using all 3 outputs and now I can't find a rhythm to the issue, and it seems to be exhibiting the same issue when coming out of sleep (sleep was my fix...would only reboot when I had time to fiddle with the video....all other times would just use sleep since it always came back fine from sleep). The computer wakes up as it should, but no video, and now I can't figure the work around. I usually have to hard boot the system a few times with all connected displays turned on and eventually I'll get a signal on one or another. Sometimes the TV has reverted to the main display, sometimes it'll come up as it should, but it seems to be getting worse since it's now doing it on boot and resume from sleep.

I found one suggestion about changing the power management of PCIe. I just changed that setting to 'off' and will see if there is any change, but any other suggestions? Could it just be a case of being burned by a cheap video card?

Did that months ago (see first paragraph)....that solved my first issue. Now the problem is video switching between outputs on the GeForce card (or having no signal at all on any output)

When you said you disabled it in Windows, did you mean BIOS? Do you have the latest drivers and/or BIOS version?

I disabled in Windows initially (after build). When I had problems with the default signal swapping back to the onboard video I then disabled in BIOS.

I will remote in to see if any new drivers are available for the card, but I never used the enclosed CD....always download so I have the latest. I can't see that they've updated the drivers for this card since August....will check though.

This is getting weirder by the day.....

Yesterday it started with the no video signal coming out of sleep. Today, I could never finagle it into starting up with a video signal through the GeForce, so I removed the card and plugged back into the onboard video. Now, when I start the computer, I get video as I should....although the initial MB logo and bios screen do not show...the first thing I see is the 'starting windows' screen. It works as it should up to the login screen. I click a user and the moment I put in the first letter of my password, the video fades to black and the computer goes to sleep. The only way I can get into the system is by booting to safe mode.

I've totally disabled sleep from safe mode and it still does the same thing......type the first letter of password and immediate sleep.

I've found nothing online about this behavior.....any suggestions? About ready to wipe this **** thing clean and start over with it.

well, as far as the display issue goes, I have a couple theories. First off it doesn't appear that any nvidia card can run 3 monitors, flawlessly that is. Secondly try just using dvi and vga with your monitors, see if that does anything. and boot into windows (if you can) set everything how you want it and do a proper shut down, turn on the computer and see if it works right. my theory behind that is that the card is too underpowered to be running 2 digital and an analog signal and by removing the hdmi from the mix it might get things to work better.

as far as the login issue with the onboard goes, if you disabled it in windows then it won't load any video drivers when you login so it'll go to sleep. (my theory on that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom