weird DVD burner issue, toshiba satellite laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

XennoTech Industries

Beta member
inherited a laptop with a weird issue. internal dvd burner drive works for one use only. after you watch a movie, install a program, copy music/movie to your hard drive, the drive just dies. nothing will fix the issue aside from a hard reboot. i've connected an external drive, both IDE and SATA (have an adapter that will accept both), and they identify immediately, will read multiple discs, ect ect. can even install an OS with the external drive.

im stumped with this issue. i had reinstalled the OS when i got the laptop, drive worked fine, copied many movies (that i legally own to test out the copy issue the previous owner said it had) with no issues. a few days later, drive will only read once then refuses to read anything else.

the first thing i thought of was perhaps the mechanism that moves the lazer back to its starting point had crapped out.. but i have no real way to rest this. when the drive dies, insertion of a new disc causes it to make its usual whirr whirr reading noise.. but eventually comes back with a redundancy error (cannot read).

ive ordered an external drive off of newegg but was wondering if perhaps this could be motherboard-related.

I would go with a firmware update as MoM suggested, if that dosent work give us the model number and we might be able to track down a replacement.

laptop is a toshiba satellite, model a215-S6804

going to search for a firmware update for it now. managed to aquire a spare battery and dvd burner unit from a good friend of mine who works on laptops far more than i do.

current DVD-RW drive that is in there is a pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17LF

-edit-

finished patching the laptop, it was not running vista sp2. also ran a fix for toshiba cd/DVD drives off the ms website. since then, ive copied 3 movies (working on the 4th now) to ISO format with no hitches yet. will continue testing as the morning progresses... see if the patching i did works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom