High budget build, need a powerhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
Been a while since I've been on Tech Forums, but I always stop back when I want a little advice :p

Basically what I'm using this for is my primary work computer, as well as my personal media machine. I feel integration of the two is important, I like having everything (work and play) in one. I am an SEO expert and the owner of a freshly established SEO firm. I do my freelance SEO, personal SEO, and soon my new business's SEO work. My tools and software kits require large amounts of memory and processor resources (high throughput data analysis software, site/SEO monitors, research assisting programs and more). I will keep all my work contained within 10 virtual machines which each run XP Pro (1.5 GB memory dedicated to each).

Personally, I am a heavy gamer and watch a lot of movies. The system will have 3 monitors connected, 2x37" LED TVs that I use for the main desktop (120hz, makes games more real than life, heh), and a 3rd 42" that sits halfway across the room (we use this one for movies and such).

I work from home and will spend most of my time with this machine. My wife will also use VNC or RD to connect to her own VM within my machine so she can access tools I have access to, as well as be able to work from anywhere.

So now you know WAY TOO MUCH about what I do, so I can tell you what I have laid out so far:

Money is never an issue for me, but I do have some conservativeness left within, so I'll stray from completely unnecessary things. 1000w is a minimum for me however, as it'll all be water cooled and under medium-heavy load constantly (Plus it's a 980X, probably some kind of crime not to overclock the crap out of it ;) ).

So, now that you've survived TL;DR ****, suggestions?

Edit: Forgot to add, I already have a CM HAF 932, screens, and OS's. Optical drives as well.

Just a quick question; were you planning on using this SSD as your primary disc drive?
Yes of course. The SSD will be the boot drive, and contain the most frequently used host machine programs and files. The Windows XP VMs will sit on the 2 500GB platter drives (in RAID0) along with their page files and all my other programs.

(I am looking to get a NAS ready backup system going, with at least 4TB, if you folks have any suggestions for that too, that'd be great :D )

Currently I have a Cooler Master V8 laying around, new in box. I planned on using that until I install the water cooling a few weeks down the road.

You guys are still foldin' proteins huh? heh, good old times. Did they ever release software that folds on both ATI and nVidia cards?

Yup..... A V8 might be okay... Worth a try if you got it

Yha unfortunately, ATI dropped brook, so the ati client is about a 1/3rd as fast as a nvidia client. A 480 will do 16,000pts a 6870 will do 7 or 8000.

They have 3 cpu clirents.... single core multi core, and huge cores, 8 or more... but say a 980x oc'd does 50,000 pts or more.

My 950@ 4Ghz can make 32000pts a day on 1 unit...

Its gotten advanced, but it doesnt really look like it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom