Time for MOBO's

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJamesJR

In Runtime
The time is drawing to a close on making my finalized purchases for my PC. I found these two MOBOs which I'm interested in.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

This first one combos with a 3.2GHz x4 AMD with x2 PCI-e slots, one of which I will probably never use due to it being blocked by my GPU.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

This second one combo's with a 3.4GHz x4 AMD with only 1 PCI-e slot. Seems like it has better features, though I don't know a whole lot about overclocking. Would be nice maybe if I became interested in it.

I don't really know what I would be doing with the two PCI-e slots on the first one. I suppose if I wanted some good audio I could put a card there. But I could also put the audio in a PCI standard slot... I'm running 8GB (2x4 4GB) 1600 RAM, which is the standard for the ASUS. Not to sure about RAM though.

This will most likely be my GPU
Newegg.com - XFX HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Which I might be able to crossfire with this one if I wanted to on the Gigabyte...
Newegg.com - XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I could fit the larger GPU in the bottom PCI-E slot, then the smaller one in the top port. That's assuming it fits. Really these are just options. I like thinking ahead and would like to get what I need now to last me a while to come.

EDIT: Also, I couldn't find any fan connectors on the ASUS. Maybe I'm blind.

Oh and this is just a little side questions...

I'm looking for that black (plastic?) tubing for some good cable management. What's is it called and where can I get it? I didn't notice any similar in Home Depot etc etc... Though I haven't been looking online for either because I don't know what it's called. Insulation maybe?

Why do people insert RAM in every other slot rather than one right next to the other???

EDIT: When a MOBO says Memory Standard 1600(O.C.), what does the O.C. stand for? Also the PC3 numbers?

Every other slot is the manufactuers desicion.

the mem standard thing is the board supports 1600 ram, ddr3 1600, but you'll need to oc, overclock, the ram to get it at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom