when trying to load Xp from disk... it won't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd_brown

Baseband Member
Upgraded the motherboard, processor and RAM in my computer but kept my old hard disks and cd drives...
After changing the boot setting to check cd-rom drive on start up it goes through it's buisness and then the cd-rom drive kicks into action but the screen stays with 'press any key to boot from cd' or whatever it is... and it just stay like that...
Now I've tried the cd in another computer and it helpfully auto-runs asking if I want to install windows Xp... and it would seem that there's nothing wrong with the cd-rom drive because I can hear it going...
But then what do I know... well nothing really!
Thanks for any help!

having a new mobo, unfortunetly you'll probably have to boot from a set of floppies. I think XP has 6, dunno, I use win2k.

Lol, you know every time i went through the whole process and it said 'press any key' that's exactly what went through my mind... in Homer's voice "Which one's the any key?"
I think I've got maybe one floppy disk that hasn't gone screwy... and there's me having a conversation about how they're pretty much obsolete merely hours before all of this!

Okay... now the disk seems to want to work but when it starts to load windows I get an error message telling me that the start up was aborted to prevent damage to my computer and that I should try checking my hard drives to see if there are any viruses or errors... Is that possible? They were fine two days ago before i removed the old motherboard and processor...
I don't know if this sounds daft at all but I've read a few posts about inadequate PSUs and people having trouble booting up because of them...
The one I've got is 230V and I'm trying to run two cd-rom drives, two hard drives, a floppy disk drive, a giga-byte K8ns Pro mobo and a Amd Athlon64 3200+ processor...

no... you mean since i disconnected the old hardware? i was hoping that i could keep the stuff that i've got on at least one of the drives... is that possible? I've got about sixty gigabytes of stuff on the one drive that i'd really rather not lose.. (I'll use the other one for Xp)

you can...it should work normally, but maybe setup has problems with the XP partition...maybe u should format the XP partition...maybe...maybe, not sure...you can try it

also, take out all unnecesary parts (un-used PCI cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom