How often should you re-apply thermal compound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johns622

Baseband Member
My computer was built in Oct of 09. Since then, I have not re-applied more thermal compound to the CPU. Someone mentioned in another thread in the general build section that my computer overheating and shutting off due to the extreme temperatures is the CPU's way of telling me it's overheating? Is this true?

How often are you supposed to apply more thermal compound, if you are? My computer is usually on every day for 5-8 hours, longer on the weekends since I only work Mon-Fri. I don't want to take it apart only to not be able to put it back together again. I don't like touching the CPU. I'm afraid I'm going to screw something about. I'm a noob with computer building. My friend put this setup together for me and he's going to put my next build together again.

Thanks.

My computer is on 15 hours a day at times. It all depends on how well your CPU is cooled. Any sign of drastic overheating may trigger the need to reapply.

Only time you should need to reapply thermal paste is if you're experiencing usually high temperatures (make sure there is no dust clogging your fans first). After you've made sure its clean of dust, and you're still getting high CPU temps, then I would look into reapplying thermal paste.

Once, when you install the CPU.

As carnage said the only other time is if you are having temp issues on the CPU.

Thanks for the responses.

My computer has shut off a couple times in the past from getting so hot. And the BIOS temp warning went off too (couple months ago actually). I was WAY overdue for a dusting so I did that and that dropped the temps somewhat. I recently upgraded fans and according to SpeedFan, that has dropped the temps 20-30ºC. Nothing is serious right now.

So I guess I don't need to re-apply any yet. Thanks guys!

*commences beating*
:grin:

Nah, as I said it works ok now. It definitely used to be an utter piece of ****, and still yeah it's not my first or second choice. But yeah, it works. DL the beta

Just installed hwmonitor. Temp readings are pretty much exactly the same from each program.

Sorry photobucket downsized it to be a little out of focus.

speedfanVShwmonitor.jpg

Can someone please explain to me what "TMPIN0", 1, and 2 are under my mobo? I'm going to assume thats north bridge, south bridge, annndd....? And what are both "TMPIN0" under my graphics card?

Also, I have 5 case fans installed. Is it just me or is HWMonitor not reading all of them? And why is 1 of them at 0%? I'm putting my hand in front of each one and they're all running.

Oh and all those blue arrows you see in SpeedFan used to be red (arrow, check, flame) icons before I upgraded fans. Even after dusting. That was even at idle. This is the first time I've seen blue arrows in SpeedFan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom