For those considering the new Sandy Bridge chip: READ THIS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is such a big deal for me. If it starts failing after a year or two I'll just RMA (after the mad rush that's probably happening now), if not this won't even matter. Meh. Still, as mentioned previously, it's a pretty ****ty thing for intel to have missed this. I'm betting at least one person is now newly out of a job

Personally, I'm thinking this was probably found once the enthusiast market started overclocking the crap out of them. And Intel maybe assuming a "worst case scenario" posture now so that they can downplay the issue to their stockholders. If the failure rate is 10% but they've projected 15% then they look "better" than they would if they initially said 10% and it did reach 10% or higher.

And I'm wondering if maybe this is part of the reason why these cpu's hate raising the BCLK.

These CPUs hate bclk cause everything is tied to it. PCI clocks and everything. That is why we have the K class CPUs.

This little recall won't effect me at all. Just feel sorry for the poor *******s that it will effect. (my board is being replaced before I even bought it)

Even if it were only a 10% failure rate, they still sold around 300 million chips, so you'd see nearly 30 million chips failing over time. That's still not a small number to scoff at in the grand scheme of things. Of course, it could have been far worse in the sense that Intel easily could have just brushed this thing under the rug and claim ignorance when problems crop up, so kudos to them to have the guts to man up to their faults.

Even so, I expect this to damage Intel's reputation and sales for a while now.

It'll damage their sales until the z67 boards come out, and when they can start producing the h67/p67 boards again. overall, with their increase in sales in q4 last year, they're predicting a billion dollars in loss, but I think that's a major overestimate, and they'll be able to come back on top when they get this figured out. and anyway AMD still hasn't released their new chips and the hexa cores lag behind the i5/i7 and SB offerings. so until they can really step up their game this will only be a slight blip on their fiscal 2011 year.

Personally, I'm thinking this was probably found once the enthusiast market started overclocking the crap out of them. And Intel maybe assuming a "worst case scenario" posture now so that they can downplay the issue to their stockholders. If the failure rate is 10% but they've projected 15% then they look "better" than they would if they initially said 10% and it did reach 10% or higher.

And I'm wondering if maybe this is part of the reason why these cpu's hate raising the BCLK.

I don't think this was overclocking related at all, it's a flaw with what used to be the southbridge.

Unexpected problems like this are probably why Intel launches it's consumer parts before their server counterparts.

Well I guess this makes me feel a little better since I got an i7 950 back in November for my first build but hadn't even heard of the Sandy Bridge CPUs until much more recently. I was kind of second-guessing myself that I should have done a bit more research and maybe waited for the them to come out. Heck I was even thinking about blowing some money and building a second desktop but this will make me wait on that. In a lot of ways that is a good thing. In April, if I start to save now, I could definitely have enough for a second high-end build. I guess I am just kind of drooling over the speeds they are putting out according to a lot of the tests.

As for the recall itself I have to give credit to Intel as many have already said. They could have probably gotten away with sweeping it under the rug and claiming ignorance but they did the right thing. Plus if they had done that I'm sure there would be whispers that they did in-fact know the whole time and just tried to cover it up. I think in the long-run they definitely made the right move obviously. I know they will take a hit but you have to know they can't allow anything even remotely similar to happen with these chips upon re-release in April so they'll definitely be fixed.

I guess that is just my two cents from the newish techie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom