No drives found

Status
Not open for further replies.

syb-pi

Solid State Member
Epox 8KTA3+, 128mb Pc100, Duron 800 cpu, Via KT133A Chipset.
Setup will not see CDROM drive although it did at first when I installed Win 98SE on a formatted drive with FAT 32. Hard drive seen but CDROM not shown at start up and when it gets to the next screen it says 'no drives found'. I'm fairly sure it is something to do with a BIOS setting and I have tried various permutations but no luck. It is an Eeprom Bios.
CDROM and Floppy lights come on OK so they are OK.
This is driving me mad and I wonder if anyone can help.

you might wanna check your jumpers to make sure slave/master are all set right worse comes to worse unplug all but CD drive and boot and see if it recognizes it then... and also i assume you have 2 IDE spots on mobo? plug just CD rom into one, and just HDD into other, and see if that works... are you using any slave/master setups at all? if not then im afraid i cant think of much else... some mobos require you to identify you're floppy drive type/format/size perhaps yours requires that for hdd's?

Make sure the IDE cables are properly connected to your mobo. The red wire is pin1.

Make sure all IDE channels in your BIOS are set to Auto Detect.

Tried all that including a new cable to CDROM.
Hard drive shows as IDE Primary Master and CDROM shows as IDE Secondary Master - settings are auto detect. Then it goes to Bios setting utility and the next screen says 'no drives detected'.
Device Manager shows the hd and cdrom drives to be working correctly but when I go to CDROM drive it will not detect a disk - says 'device not ready'.
What is going on?
Should I try CDROM drive as secondary slave. It is on a separate channel as I eventually want to put a second hd on the Primary channel.

you can try multiple setups:
assuming u currently have 1 HD and 1 Cd/DVD-drive

1) put the CD-rom as primary slave on the same channel as you HD
2) put ur Cd-rom as secondary slave (not reccommended if its on its own)
3) put HD and CD on primary channel and jumper both to cable select (CS or Csel)

Tried CD drive jumpered to slave and auto detect still finds it and also hd. Device Manager again shows these drives are working OK.The second screen - bios setting utility - again shows no drives found. This problem has to be a bios setting but I have been over and over the settings and cannot find out what to change.

At one point the cd drive worked and I installed win 98se.
I still think it is a bios setting - anyone any ideas?
It is an eeprom bios and I find I have to keep clearing cmos - is this OK? I don't understand eeprom bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom