AMD 64 3000+ processor heating up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFlesh18

Solid State Member
I just bought myself a new asus K8V-SE DELUXE motherboard and a AMD 64 3000+ Processor. But now i have a problem The thing overheats if i multi-task or play a game, and the fan will run really fast for some reason it'll run up to like 5,520 rpms which is pretty fast and really noisy. Right now its running at 5037 rpms. Im not sure what i did wrong i followed the directions for installing everything. Maybe its because i read the directions wrong and when installing the heatsink and fan to the processor. I twisted it back and forth because thats what it said to do, little did i know that your only supposed to do that when your uninstalling it to break the seal between the heat sink, and the processor so you dont take out the processor out of the socket. So now i have gaps in the thermal pad and thermal crap on the processor, Would that be the problem? Other problems are that when i start up the system it will say cannot find ide drives, BIOS not installed, but yet i installed the IDE bios already. Please help me. I have more problems with the system, but i've got to go to work now. So i just listed some major things wrong with it.

BTW-- I already updated the bios.

Thank You

asus K8V-SE DELUXE motherboard
I don't know why everyone keeps buying these boards....we were just discussing the other day about how ASUS sucks and how many people come to these forums with ASUS boards that are having problems...you're like the 3rd or 4th person today with that board that's been having problems.....my suggestion to you for the future is stay away from ASUS, you'll find no help with their tech support and they just plain suck these days. You'd be better off with ABit or MSI...anywho....

I put together a AMD64 machine, and the instructions do say to give it a 1 degree twist in each direction when APPLYING the heatsink also so you didn't mess up there...they have you do that to insure the compound is in all possible microscopic gaps and such because I did the same twisting...but remember man 1 degree is like a hair width....it's not a very big twist...

So now i have gaps in the thermal pad and thermal crap on the processor,

You NEVER put thermal compound on your processor if your heatsink has a thermal pad on it....if you put your stock AMD64 heatsink on, PLUS put on the thermal grease then you need to remove your heatsink immediately as this is causing your heating problems....you only put stuff like arctic silver on aftermarket heatsinks as all stock heatsinks have thermal pads on them....having a thermal pad and compound is basically fuxing it up....you can easily scrape off the thermal pad just use some rubbing alcohol and something plastic and make sure you don't scratch the base of the heatsink itself....THEN you should apply the compound....

I've never in my life seen a computer say 'BIOS not installed' thats simply not possible, if there was no BIOS installed the computer would do absolutely nothing, including NOT give you that error.....it could be because you're overheating and (is it freezing or randomly rebooting?) is causing the HD to fux up too....happened to me when I first started to OC my CPU because of the random restarts and crap, my HD just didn't like it and the startup files got screwed somehow, but yeah the nvidia nforce chipsets have their own IDE Drivers and I'm assuming you're saying you installed ALL of the motherboard drivers that came on the CD correct?

Yea i installed everything that came on the CD. Also i didnt place any extra thermal compound, I meant that i got the thermal pad compound on my processor from twisting the heat sink and fan back and forth. So do you think i should clean both the processor and heat sink, and put my own thermal compound on?

Well how do you get the pad on the processor? I mean the whole thing except for like a quarter of an inch is covered by the heat plate they put on? But yeah either way man, if you got some good grease around get that thermal pad off, just remember you don't want to scratch your base so use a credit card or something plastic that won't scratch the metal. Apply a dot of compound in the middle, bout the size of a BB and place your heatsink. Give it a one degree twist to each side, but like I said one degree is like a hair man so basically just muscle spasm and you've moved it enough :) Put the dot RIGHT in the middle as that's where the core is underneath the heat plate...this will spread the grease to about the size of a quarter in the middle of the chip...and that's all that's really needed.

Awsome thanks abunch, do you think doing this will solve the heat/fan problem? I got some Dynex Thermal Compound, Is it any good? It came with a spreader card. I was only planning on putting a drop right in the center of the heat sink. Do i spread the thermal compound on the heat sink with the spreader card or do i use the spreader card to remove the Thermal Pad? And will rubbing alchohol work to remove the Thermal Pad completely? Its 70% ISOPROPYL.

99% isopropyl would be better but 70 will have to do. It'll HELP in removing the pad but most of the work will be done by you, use the card to remove the pad because you don't need to spread the compound. Read what i said about it. Drop in the middle..put on the heatsink...the core is in the middle underneath that heatplate so once you put on that heatsink is squishes out to the size of a quarter, enough to cover the area you WANT covered.

Also how do i remove the thermal pad from the processor without damaging it? What kind of fabric should i use to get it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom