New to Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to overclock my CPU for a little while but in all honesty am not sure how exactly to go about doing it. I've read a few things about it but haven't been able to find a very good guide for going about doing it. Also I am not really sure what speed I can aim for while keeping my CPU safe from overheating. As far as cooling goes I am just using air at the moment. I'm using the V6 by Cooler Master and my case is the HAF-X 942. I have not added any extra fans to the case only those that came with the case. My current CPU is the Intel i7 950 @ 3.06Ghz. Finally my mobo is the Asus Sabertooth X58.

Basically I guess I am just looking for anyone that has experience overclocking this CPU or one similar with the same or similar cooling equipment. And what were you able to safely overclock to? Finally some good guides that you would recommend on overclocking.

Thanks in advance all.

How far you can take your overclock depends very much on your cpu, if you have a good one that don't require too much voltage then something like 4.2 GHz should be possible with your cooling. Then if you are unlucky and have a chip like my 950 which requires 1.4 V for 4.2 GHz then you may have to limit your overclocking. I have exactly same Sabertooth & i7-950 combo myself but I have the cpu under water.

Thanks for the help so far. I actually did read Slaymates guide and it was very informative. However, since it is my first time doing it I'd prefer more of a step-by-step type of guide if one is out there. That is just how I learn best usually. Or maybe even if someone would maybe willing to walk me through it whenever they get a chance. I could just be on my laptop while I'm doing it. It'd be immensely helpful if you have the same mobo as me since a lot of times I find my BIOS to be labeled a lot differently than in some guides. I know everyone is different so that is to be expected.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom