Overclocking GTX 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiller.

In Runtime
As some of you know, I just built this desktop PC with a MSi GTX 460 Cyclone 1 GB.

Using Afterburner, I was able to achieve Clocks of: Core 875, Memory 1000, Shader 1750 @ 1.0v. The default clocks on this card are 726/900/1451. I did this in about 15 minutes, so I feel with more effort, I could achieve a better overclock. As of now, my temps only reach about 68*C in Furmark after 30 minutes. Is Furmark a good indication of stability, etc?

Thanks!

I can't really provide much info on it, since I am no overcloking expert..

I am waiting my new parts for a pc this tuesday, and I got the Hawk version of your card. How did you do it? Like did you raise the core's by 2's 4's etc..? Then you ran a stability test?

It's really easy with Afterburner. Just adjust the core clock and the shader clock automatically adjusts so it stays in a 2:1 ratio. You should be able start at 800 core with the stock voltage. From there, I increased by 25 MHz each time until 900 MHz was not stable at 1.0v. Then I decreased by 5 MHz until it was stable. 885 MHz was stable for me, so I use 880 to be safe.

I have no idea how much the memory clock should be increased, that's why I posted this topic, but I am sure of the core clock. I know once you find the max stable core, you should then increase the memory. The memory clock on my card seemed to be stable at 2190, but I don't know if that's safe, so I just set it to 2100 MHz.

I use Furmark to test initial stability (run for 5 mins after each increase). Once the core is maxed out, then run furmark for 30 mins. After that, I usually run 3dmark a couple times to make sure it's stable. Games are also a good indicator.

You can OC this card a ton. It's basically just how comfortable you are with high clocks for 24/7 use. I have a limit of 70*C for all of my hardware that I OC (CPU/GPU) when stability testing. That way, when I play games, it doesn't go anywhere near that high.

I think I'm done tweaking my card.

Volts: 1.0v (0.962 stock)
Core: 880 MHz
Memory: 1050 MHz (2100)
Shader: 1760 MHz

It's pretty quick with those settings. I'm not one to push things to their absolute maximum. I didn't want to go above 1.0v, but a lot of people just max out the voltage in Afterburner, which is around 1.1v.

Hope this helps.

Honestly I would stop where you are because my personal preference is to not go over 70c by more than 1 or 2. Can you raise your core clock any more without raising the voltages? Memory I would leave where it's at.

No, 880 is the maximum I can do with 1v (885 actually is the max, but I'm at 880 to be safe). I just have no idea about the memory clock. My temps hit 69*C in Furmark after 30 mins even with 880 core and 2190 memory...

Thanks for the reply.

If your overclocking just to overclock then keep going and see how high it will go.

If your overclocking for an improved gaming experience then I would only go high enough to play my game smoothly.

Think of it like it was a car. If your car tops out at 100 mph would you drive it that fast everywhere you go? Would you go 90 mph? Probably not, even if we didn't have police. If you want your video card to last more than a few months to a year treat it nice.

I'm overclocking to improve its gaming performance. I just don't know where the "safe" boundaries are for core and memory. I saw that the fastest retail card on newegg has its core @ 850. The highest memory clock I saw was 1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom