Looking for Some Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hey everyone!

So recently I wanted to purchase a 3.5" card reader for SD Cards and what not. I had seen videos of builds of people using the a case that was very similar to mine, at the time I thought they were the exact same, and they had an adapter for a 3.5" drive to fit into a 5.25" bay and look flush and what not. I'm sure those that have a HAF 932 know what I am talking about. However I ended up purchasing the HAF-X RC-942 which is very similar but one difference is it does not come with that adapter. Instead it has two bays at the bottom that serve as more or less hidden bays that can hold 2.5" and 3.5" drives. You put in your drive and as you slide the bay back in it plugs into a SATA connection at the back of the drive. Hopefully someone with this same case will understand exactly what I mean.

Anyways I have to say I was a little disappointed with the fact that I couldn't get a 3.5" front bay drive to work out like I had seen. However I did find a good 5.25" card reader so all is well in that regard.

My question is what can I do with these bays? The only thing that came to my mind was an SSD drive which is a nice idea but since I am using the PCIe RevoDrive SSD I have no need for one. Then I thought, "oh wait, I've got an old 2.5" laptop HDD I could use just for the heck of it." However after looking at the screw holes and everything I don't think that is going to work because the adapter is aluminum or some kind of metal and the bottom exposed part of the laptop HDD would have to be coming in-contact with that so I don't think that would be smart and/or work.

So other than an SSD what can I put into these bays? I'm in no hurry to fill them or anything I'm just really wondering out of curiosity what else I can do with them. I am attaching pictures so those of you that do not have my case can have a better understanding of what I meant while describing it.

The last picture is of the laptop HDD and how it would basically fit EXCEPT it would be on the opposite side which I do not believe would work safely or properly. Any and all ideas are welcome I'm just wanting to do some brainstorming for ideas.

Thanks in advance all!

EDIT: While I'm on the subject of brainstorming and instead of taking up valuable space with another thread I thought I'd ask this in this topic as well. I'm kind of wanting to make my tower a little more ascetically fun/pleasing with LEDs and what not. Obviously I know about changing my fans but what other ideas or options are there?

Well I guess there isn't much to do outside of just using it to swap HDDs and SSDs. LOL. Oh well I'm sure it will end up coming in handy at one time or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom