usb device (thumb drive) lights up but no sound or drive found

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersspot.com

Baseband Member
not a laptop (12-18"), not a net book (7-10"), but a life book, 5". 1.3ghz 40gb hd. very impressive for just over a pound.

he's having trouble getting any usb device to work. I plugged in my thumb and it lit up, but no drive showed up. I plugged in my printer, nothing. there's no audio alert when you plug or unplug anything either.

I tried system restore (just a shot in the dark), no luck.

I'm thinking it's hardware related, anybody want to confirm my suspicions or shoot out some ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Uninstall the USB drivers from device manager. Restart the PC. Plug in a USB device to see if it reloads the drivers.

I would have never thought of that, but I'm giving it a try. No luck.

Here's some more info. I said my thumb drive lights up when I plug it in. Well, my optical mouse doesn't.

Sounds like the usb bus is probably shot. Do simple things like a sub mouse or usb keyboard work?

I plug in a laptop mouse off ebay that normally lights up in a matter of seconds, nothing.
I plug a usb printer in, no sound nothing.
I plug my usb thumb drive in, it lights up but no audio, no connectivity.

I did do some more research as to what could cause usb ports to become disabled and checked out the registry, that was fine.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling usb drivers.

I tried powering it down and disconnecting the battery.

As far as I can tell, the only thing this 1 usb port on this laptop will do is light up my thumb drive.

I've got this laptop till Saturday or Monday sometime, but he can't use it without the usb drive.

Is there any other way to hook a usb device up to this laptop, like a wireless usb hub? or a docking station? I'll check those last two myself.

Let me know any other ideas, I'm in the dark right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom